Windows 8 Windows 8 bsod error.

Enfinite

I was using my computer one day and the blue screen popped up with this message "Your PC has ran into a problem. The bottom text with the specific error was"VIDEO TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys)

I can reach the boot menu and safe mode but I dont have the windows 8 disk. After unplugging everything to the tower and re-plugging in, the windows start up again. However, the resolution makes the graphic larger.
I looked into the device manager and when I update the Display adapter, the bsod returns.
I have to system restore back to before the update. View attachment 34627 I can also not open nvidia settings. View attachment 34628

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 507
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 2.png
    2.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 536
  • 1.png
    1.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 604
  • W7F_02-04-2017.rar
    996 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Try to re-install the drivers for NVIDIA.

One question, in picture no 3 you have some artifacts (the lines) was that on the display or is it because that you did take the photo?

If that kind of lines are showing it usually is because of rendering issues on the GPU, then it's time to buy a new graphic card.

I was using my computer one day and the blue screen popped up with this message "Your PC has ran into a problem. The bottom text with the specific error was"VIDEO TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys)

I can reach the boot menu and safe mode but I dont have the windows 8 disk. After unplugging everything to the tower and re-plugging in, the windows start up again. However, the resolution makes the graphic larger.
I looked into the device manager and when I update the Display adapter, the bsod returns.
I have to system restore back to before the update. View attachment 34627 I can also not open nvidia settings. View attachment 34628
Hi Enfinite,
if you have any dump files please post them or read the sticky at the start of this section: How to ask for help with a BSOD Problem

VIDEO TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) this usually relates to Bugcheck 116 and it can be caused by many things. First course of action is try and update those drivers but before that you need to run something called the DDU or display driver uninstaller . This will not only remove the graphics driver but also anything else left behind by previous installs.
I'm hoping you can download a copy to your desktop (with the large resolution?), to actually use it though you'll need to boot into safe mode or try safe mode with networking if the desktop is no go.

Once all the crap has been removed you'll hopefully be able to boot into your desktop and download the latest driver NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8004e5e010, fffff88004bba568, 0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+14c568 )

Most definitely caused by the graphics driver.

STACK_COMMAND: kb

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC: a03fc032c072a6c1d9d97fb4ece393866dfe03bb

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC_OFFSET: 24f3cd64c9d5439c2e32458c0645c97ed45ba8b9

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD: 8a8b82c1b789d2b57d111dee06f2d5d20bb3d242

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nvlddmkm+14c568
fffff880`04bba568 4055 push rbp

FAULT_INSTR_CODE: 8b485540

SYMBOL_NAME: nvlddmkm+14c568

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME: nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 54cc1748

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: 0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 116, {fffffa8004e5e010, fffff88004bba568, 0, 2}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+14c568 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
as I mentioned above as well as Neemobeer's post that it's a bugcheck 116.

I did a little checking on your drivers and as your probably aware drivers for your card stop at 2015.

However, looking at the dates of the install: nvlddmkm.sys Fri Jan 30 23:44:08 2015 . There is a driver dated later, Feb 24th Version 309.08.

Even if you already have these drivers, run the DDU and then do a fresh install of the driver above as it's often a bit of corruption setting in.

I ran the DDU in safe mode and selected the first option "clean and restart". After restarting the computer, windows restarted but after a short time the screen turned black and the blue screen appeared again. I booted into safe mode again and I try to install the NVIDIA driver but it says there are no compatible hardware.

2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Did you read my post above? Driver support stopped in 2015 although i popped a link on for the last driver released.

Did you read my post above? Driver support stopped in 2015 although i popped a link on for the last driver released.

I've read your post and didn't understand the first time.
After reading it again I went to my computer to find the file for 309.08 and will try to reinstall the driver after DDU. The blue screen still appears after I reinstalled the driver.

My windows is now running on the microsoft basic display driver.
Do I have to get a new graphics card?

Last edited:
Try to re-install the drivers for NVIDIA.

One question, in picture no 3 you have some artifacts (the lines) was that on the display or is it because that you did take the photo?

If that kind of lines are showing it usually is because of rendering issues on the GPU, then it's time to buy a new graphic card.

I ran a test to see the functioning ratings and yes there is a lower performance since the last test in 2013.
2g.png

Attachments

• graoh.png
    graoh.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 596
Even after 309.08. it still blue screens?

See if the card will blue screen in safe mode;

I can run windows and get it to boot into safe mode through running msconfig but when I normal startup,
it wouldn't reach the log in page and just reach the please restart your computer loop.

I can run windows and get it to boot into safe mode through running msconfig but when I normal startup,
it wouldn't reach the log in page and just reach the please restart your computer loop.
Is this with a driver installed or does it do it regardless whether a driver is installed or not?

Back