Windows 8 Windows 8 on Dell Latitude D630: Sigmatel/IDT sound drivers not working with docking station

Snerbeyond

I have a Dell Latitude D630 and Windows 8. The generic Windows sound driver made the sound for the laptop run, but not with the docking station. I installed the Sigmatel drivers for Windows Vista 32bit. They also worked for me on Windows 7. First, they didn't wanna install, but then I made a BIOS update from Revision A03 to A18 and it solved the problem. Now again I have sound for the laptop, but when connected to the docking station the following happens:
When I set the normal speakers as output: Sound starts to play through the speakers connected to the docking station, but aborts quickly (for example the Windows sound when changing the volume).
When I set the SPDIF out as output: No sound at all!

The Sigmatel website obviously doesn't provide drivers since it's not existant anymore. The audio business was sold to IDT, but the IDT Website sucks: Detailed descriptions of all sound cards, but no drivers at all!

There was an IDT modded drivers section on laptopvideo2go.com before, but unfortunately the project is dead. I can't even find the uploaded files anymore. Anyway, one doesn't know if it works for Win 8 at all.

Audio device:
STAC9205

Device-ID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F9&REV_1002\4&C38AAC3&0&0001

I tried the following drivers from the Dell website already which according to Windows 8 work, but give me the described sound problem:
- 2Y0VM
- R153997
- R171788
- R171789
- R218148

Any ideas how I can get this to work? Any other IDT drivers available?

Not familiar with your particular model, but it would seem to me that if the sound works fine during normal operation of the computer and the problem you describe is associated with the docking station speakers then perhaps the actual issue is with drivers for the interface port that the computer uses while docked. Are there possibly indications within device manager that a particular device is having problems (when docked)? And is it possible that there maybe some additional drivers or associated software available through the computer manufacturer's website that add support and features to allow you to take full advantage of said docking station?

Well, the docking station doesn't have speakers itself. For audio there are actually only the SPDIF out and the headphone jack on it. I connected the headphone jack to normal speakers. The speakers are definitely working (tested with others) and they used to work like that for Win 7.
According to the device manager everything is working fine.
There are no drivers and no firmware files for the Dell docking station. There appears to be no software inside it. Basically it's just a port replicator.

Hi,

have you tried the Dell forums particularly for your device? Some one may have found a work around...

Yes, I read there. Only people who found a solution for Win 7. Mostly the Vista 32 drivers or bios update. I did these things already and it was working for Win 7.

Hi Snerbeyond, any luck getting sound from the D630 dock?
i'm in the same boat. it was working fine in win7 64bit. but no luck with win8. i have the S/PDIF port on the d630 dock connected to the 5.1 sound system.

Yes, I read there. Only people who found a solution for Win 7. Mostly the Vista 32 drivers or bios update. I did these things already and it was working for Win 7.

Back