Windows 7 Windows 8 RP install ?

johnny quid

Hi folks,

I have Windows 7 on partition C:\ and Windows 8 CP on partition D:\ its set up to boot by default into 7 from both O/S's.
I would like to install Windows 8 RP/RC on D:\ but when running the set up i don't get the option of where to install it, and i'm slightly worried it will just "bulldoze" over C:\ on the drive. and i don't get an option to save any settings when i run set up from W8 CP. ?
Grateful for advice on this.

Regards J.Quid ► ♫♪♫♪

As I recall, when going through the motions, there was a point that asked where you wanted to install it. The way I did it was download/burn an ISO image and then booted from cd/dvd, which I changed the boot order in the BIOS. Then after a few screens I was given the option to choose where to install the OS. Hope this helps.

Have you tried doing the upgrade from withing Windows 8? And you are correct, it will not give any options to save your previous install, so it will basically be a custom install and wipe out any installed programs.

But as Bassfisher6522 mentions, it will normally give you an option as to which partition to install the OS.

Hi Bassfisher & Saltgrass,
1st thanks for replying ☻

I have burned the W8-RP .iso to disc, and Windows boot loader allows me to boot on to the partition (D:\) with W8 on.I have also tried running the set up disc from within W8. When i do this for some reason i don't get any options (not even save settings & apps) i just get a radio button marked none!
To some up, as i'am running the set-up from within W8 on Partition D:\ from my optical drive, it will treat the install as custom and overwrite the other 3 partitions i have, is the correct ?

Regards J.Quid ♫►♫

Re: System recovery

I just went through the entire process again, just to make sure how it works. Reinstalling Win 8 over a previous Windows 8 install replaced only the Windows 8 partition, and did not effect any others. So why your system has decided not to boot, not really sure.

It did not give an option to pick a partition, but since the install was started from within Windows 8, it already knew. Had I done the install by booting to the DVD, it would have asked where to put the install.

Hopefully there is just some minor problem with the boot looking at the wrong drive and is easily fixable. But the factory restore (start over) for your system seems to go into the bios and enable the boot options, then booting to the cd after choosing it. Setting the CD to boot first should allow for it to work, by you may have to hit a key to continue the boot.

But that should be in your owner's manual.

Thanks for going through the installation process. (above and beyond the call of duty) ♫►
I will try installing the 8RP version from DVD from within 8CP.##
As for the comments about system boot, i'm guessing these are in reply to another post...

Regards

Humm, I could have sworn I saw another post where you had lost the ability to boot...maybe Sun Spots are causing problems...! :)

Are C & D 2 separate HDDs? If, they are, unplug the Windows7 HDD & use the Win8 DVD to "Custom" install to the only connected drive. AND, before, doing this, in Windows7 Disc Management, Delete & Format the drive where you want to put Windows8. Reconnect the Win7 drive after the Win8 installation is completed.

OR (if they are partitions on the same HDD)

1st of all I recommend you install the RP selecting "Custom" install not, Upgrade.
2nd, I recommend, in Windows7 Disc Management, Delete & Format the drive holding the CP
Then, from the DVD install Windows8

When using "Custom" install one should get a window asking where to install.

Cheers,
Drew

Back