Windows 8 Windows 8 safe boot mode

Jnali

I recently uncounted a problem with some ransom ware so I read up on the net that I had to boot into safe mode. My was also damages and I was using an external monitor. Think that in safe mode my display on the external monitor would still work so to used msconfig and booted into safe mode only to find that my display stopped working and now I running blind. Im hoping someone as encountered the same problem or similar and they couuld help me..Thank.

Safe Mode could be accessed by Shift + Clicking the Restart button > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart > press 5. Since Safe Mode was permanently enabled in MSConfig, and you can't login to Safe Mode to undo the change, you can replace the Boot Configuration Data file, where the setting is stored, from the Recovery Environment using only Command Prompt. To enter the Recovery Environment, since you can't Shift + Click a button in Windows, use Ctrl + Alt + Del to interrupt early startup twice, not by pressing the power button.

Turn on the computer. As soon as the boot screen appears, press Ctrl + Alt + Del as quickly as possible. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del as soon as the boot screen appears again. If this doesn't display Preparing Automatic Repair and then provide blue options, please specify which computer brand you have, as some computers have a key combination that can be pressed during initial firmware boot to enter Recovery.

Wait until a blue colored screen loads, then click Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
diskpart
list volume look for number of FAT32 partition in 100 to 500 MB size
select volume # replace # with number for 100 to 500 MB formatted FAT32
assign letter B
exit
cd /d B:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot
copy BCD BCDold
bcdedit store BCD /delete {default}
bootrec /rebuildbcd press A when prompted
Close Command Prompt, and Exit and Continue to Windows 8.

This mounts the Bootable partition as B, copies the Boot Configuration Data file to a backup, deletes the faulty entry so it can be created again, and includes it back again without Safe Mode enabled.

Thanks but I have a faulty screen and can't see anything...I tried turning on the laptop and waited , entered my password and pressed alt + f4 and the laptop shut down..So I'm guessing I'm logged in. Is it possible to use msconfig to undo the boot setting. If so could someone walk me through the process using only my keyboard. (the number of tabs and arrow keys to use.)
I already know how to enter msconfig.
(win key + r)
I have an asus laptop x402ca

Last edited:
Thanks but I have a faulty screen and can't see anything...I tried turning on the laptop and waited , entered my password and pressed alt + f4 and the laptop shut down..So I'm guessing I'm logged in. Is it possible to use msconfig to undo the boot setting. If so could someone walk me through the process using only my keyboard. (the number of tabs and arrow keys to use.)
I already know how to enter msconfig.
(win key + r)
I have an asus laptop x402ca
MSConfig
1) Windows key + R and type msconfig then press Enter.
2) Press the up arrow key twice to choose Normal Startup.
3) Shift + Tab once to reach the tab menu.
3) Press the right arrow once to move from General to Boot.
4) Tab three times and press Space to uncheck Safe Boot.
4) Press Enter to save and exit, press Tab, and press Enter.

BCDedit
If MSConfig does not work, you may still be able to use the BCD command line. Without observing DiskPart to tell which partition is the bootable, bcdedit is usually able to find the BCD automatically.

1) Windows key + R and type shutdown /r /o then press Enter.
2) Wait a few minutes for the Recovery Environment options to load.
3) If using a UEFI computer, press the down arrow twice. If using legacy BIOS, press down once.
4) Press Enter, then press the down arrow twice (since Windows 8 has reset and refresh separate), and press Enter.
5) Press the right arrow once (with Windows 8) and press Enter.
6) Wait a few minutes, then press Enter, type administrator password, and press Enter.
7) bcdedit /export C:\BCDbackup and press Enter.
8) bcdedit /delete {default} and press Enter.
9) bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter, in a few seconds type A and press Enter.
10) exit and press Enter to exit and continue.

WARNING: If bootrec /rebuildbcd fails blindly, the BCD will be left without Windows included, leaving Windows unbootable. Even with the BCD backup saved, you may not know to restore the BCD backup before restarting if bootrec /rebuildbcd fails.

Last edited:
Back