Windows 8 Windows 8 Sucks, yes it does.

Radenight

Hey all..

Now that I have your attention.. ;) I say again Windows 8 sucks.. That being said I will give it credit for being a great 'Alpha' build of a very interesting concept.. but in no way should be considered the next version of the Windows operating system.. ;)

Let's just hope that Microsoft redeems themselves with Windows 9.. ;)

What are all of you're thoughts on Windows 8?? Be honest..

Well for starters, you have to look past the touch feel of 8 on the desktop...I know that's hard to do. Once you do that and see the OS for what's under the hood, it's a pleasant surprise as far as speed goes. With each evolution of the OS, it's faster than the version before it. Next is the install time, it's quarter faster than 7 was and half faster then the previous version's. I can remember XP taking and hour or more and Vista about 45 minutes or so. Then 7, 30 minutes plus. With 8 it's under 15 minutes.

It's a work horse under the hood moving in and out of apps and software and moving from one HDD to another if you using more than one hard drive internally.

For various reasons, I am obliged to use Windows 8 fairly extensively. In my daily grind, I use it on different computers - stationary and Laptop. I have not had any issues with it so far, as I read on forums. I have customised the modern screen to my liking. I have also installed the Classic start menu. With this I am able to experience the best of both, and use both, frequently.
I am not able to comment on the touchscreen abilities, but that is, possibly, not the subject of thos thread.
However, when it comes to a direct question, such as the title of this thread, I am drawn to comment. No, it doesn't "suck". It runs as normally, and as easily, as Windows 7.
I have (sorry bassfisher) grown to hate the expression, which I read so frequently, "under the hood". What exactly is that?
Installing? Well, imo the average person installs once, maybe a little more if there are virus problems during the life of the OS. The speed of the install is not a feature to be lauded, quite as much as it is. Ditto the start up time. There are literally, hundreds of posts, congratulating MS/Windows 8 on its improved startup time. How do these posters actually use their computers, I ask myself. I startup my personal computers once a day. Many users, and, in particular, office workers, never switch off. What is the importance of the startup time.

I would not care to comment on the performance time. On a pure users observation, I do not, I'm afraid, detect anything remarkable. I see from benchmarks, that there is a recorded improvement. In most comparisons, this is measured in microseconds. Googling will get you to one of many of these tests. Here is one at random, for example

Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 Performance > Benchmarks: Boot Up, PCMark, Browser, Encoding - TechSpot

Looked at realistically, some of the small speed improvements could have been achieved with a major SP to Windows 7. Another point here is that many new users of Windows 8 have purchased improved computers. I do believe they would have noticed the same improvement in Windows 7, by changing the platform. Comment here is that I do not honestly see four years of work showing a corresponding performance increase in the OS, but perhaps we are nearing the end of the line in software speed.
However. Windows 8 for me, basically operates certainly no worst than Windows 7 and now, having found my way around it, 100%, I will be staying with it.
it does NOT "suck"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all..

Now that I have your attention.. ;) I say again Windows 8 sucks.. That being said I will give it credit for being a great 'Alpha' build of a very interesting concept.. but in no way should be considered the next version of the Windows operating system.. ;)

Indeed but that kind of talk may get you banned here. You are required to say only nice things about windows 8. The only time you may criticise win 8 is when you need some help with some feature and even then you must be careful.

Also I have all 3 OSs (XP, 7, and 8), the 8 came pre installed on a laptop and I gave up on it. I am trying to flog it (next Tuesday someone is coming to buy it)! So far XP boots faster than 7, and with the hardware I have on the desktops, XP is way faster than 7. However 7 has features that are an improvement over XP. In fact 7 with Classic shell is very good indeed if I disregard the fact that it takes ages to boot. As for 8? You nailed it on the spot! :)
May I recommend you upgrade sorry I meant go back to win 7. This way you will be happy.

No one is forcing you to go to 8. Perhaps you could join us on the win 7 forums and rant about 8 all you want like I do! :)

Indeed but that kind of talk may get you banned here. You are required to say only nice things about windows 8. The only time you may criticise win 8 is when you need some help with some feature and even then you must be careful.

No it won't get you banned.

What will get you banned however is disruptive behaviour. Expressing your point of view is one thing and certainly welcomed but to derail threads into a ms bashing thread will not be tolerated.

"What are all of you're thoughts on Windows 8?? Be honest.. "

Love it! :D Fast, smooth, stable, impressive (both in Features and Technology), handles resources really well, problem-free, lots of good stuff embedded, it's smart and super-easy to install and super-easy to use & enjoyable; does everything asked & does it well and compatibility is vast & deep. And much better than any previous Windows OS.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

What will get you banned however is disruptive behaviour. Expressing your point of view is one thing and certainly welcomed but to derail threads into a ms bashing thread will not be tolerated.
It all depends on how Disruptive behaviour is interpreted. This particular thread is about an OP who dislikes win 8 and is asking for honest opinions on this OS. Would not disruptive behaviour be when another poster attacks the OP and is vehemently opposed to any criticism on win 8?

I am in product design and R&D and even negative feedback that can not be substantiated is welcome simply because we are biological entities prone to the overpowering strength of psychological forces built into us.

I may hate win 8 simply for its looks and not care about any features built into the OS. After all most men are attracted to a woman by her looks and then he delves into her character traits.

Win 8 is like SUVs. It tries to be both an off road and on road vehicle and this means that it simply cannot compare with either off road vehicles nor on road vehicles in performance and ease of use. It is basically a touch screen OS ported over to Desktop and does it show! Of course like in any forum dedicated to something specific; you will find the shills and fanbois who will spare no quarter in support of the said thing.

My opinion is that windows 7 is far superior to win 8 on desktops and win 8 is superior to 7 on smart phones and tablets.

Is this post disruptive?

How about coming up with something specific, which you find you dislike, Tanzanos. I haven't read all your threads on the subject, but have noticed that they are usually vague, and generalised comments.
For example, this is a classic " It is basically a touch screen OS ported over to Desktop and does it show" I haven't the slightest idea where you are going with that comment? In fact, if I try hard, and it is not my opinion, you have the cart before the horse. It is a Desktop with a graphical (or call it a touch screen) interface thrown into the middle.
Where I live, Touchscreens are still not common. Most users installing, or using, Windows 8 for the first time, and who are not so educated in the inner workings of an OS, might not even be aware that it is supposed to be a touch screen. I must say that, way back, when I was first introduced to one of the earlier builds, the first thing I did was clicked the icon that said "Desktop". At that stage, I was fully knowledgeable as to what Windows 8 was all about. Similarly, when I firs encountered Vista (to become Windows 7), I clicked the start orb to begin to find my way around in what was quite revolutionary in navigation, from previous OSs.
If you deign to come along with some specifics (please leave out the Modern/desktop scenario - it has been done to death), then, in spite of your self professed skills, perhaps more knowledgeable users here will be able to put you on a better course of action.

P.S. I would add that, not liking Windows 8 because of its looks, is a little off target.

How about coming up with something specific, which you find you dislike, Tanzanos. I haven't read all your threads on the subject, but have noticed that they are usually vague, and generalised comments.
For example, this is a classic " It is basically a touch screen OS ported over to Desktop and does it show" I haven't the slightest idea where you are going with that comment? In fact, if I try hard, and it is not my opinion, you have the cart before the horse. It is a Desktop with a graphical (or call it a touch screen) interface thrown into the middle.
Where I live, Touchscreens are still not common. Most users installing, or using, Windows 8 for the first time, and who are not so educated in the inner workings of an OS, might not even be aware that it is supposed to be a touch screen. I must say that, way back, when I was first introduced to one of the earlier builds, the first thing I did was clicked the icon that said "Desktop". At that stage, I was fully knowledgeable as to what Windows 8 was all about. Similarly, when I firs encountered Vista (to become Windows 7), I clicked the start orb to begin to find my way around in what was quite revolutionary in navigation, from previous OSs.
If you deign to come along with some specifics (please leave out the Modern/desktop scenario - it has been done to death), then, in spite of your self professed skills, perhaps more knowledgeable users here will be able to put you on a better course of action.

P.S. I would add that, not liking Windows 8 because of its looks, is a little off target.
For a start all the things I do not like about W8 are my opinions: I find win 8 to be totally Unintuitive. Secondly I find the lack of a start button to be a great disadvantage. Just these two are a game breaker for me. I agree that I did not spend enough time to get to know win 8 but at my age I simply do not want to be forced into learning a system that I find totally unintuitive.

Remove METRO Totally, bring back start button, bring back classic menus option and I will be more than happy to buy Windows 8. Yes I am a dinosaur and a stupid one at that. but it is what I am. I have always been a fan of windows and when classic menus was removed from 7 I started getting worried; now with 8 I am sure that 7 will remain my OS of choice :)

Ummm, except, one can't "bring back" what is, already, there... there IS a Start button. And as for the Start screen, if one doesn't like it, don't use it... Windows 8 can be used very nicely w/out visiting that screen. As for intuitive (or not) IF one is willing to discover, learn, understand Windows 8... it's very easy & quick to use.

Having used Windows since Win98, Win8 will remain my OS of choice simply cus it's so damn good (both Features & the technologies under the covers) & consequently, enjoyable & productive.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

I really think that most of us that do enjoy Win 8 are getting tired of the Pro/Con discussions, that seem to go on endlessly. My feeling is this and forums like this are technical forums, started to provide answers to technical problems.

Using terms such as "This Sucks" is inflammatory in nature. This just causes arguments which are not productive to anyone except those trying to start the argument. So I guess to answer your question, perhaps starting threads like this should be considered as "ban-able" offenses. Starting a thread just to generate arguments is counter-productive.

And fortunately, Ted, we don't see much of this silly rhetoric or worn out attempts to start such lines of 'discussion' anymore. Folks like you & I tired of it long ago. & yes, it misses the valuable point of these forums & yes, certainly, @ this point in time, serves no viable service or purpose nor is it something some of us will (still bother) to let ourselves get caught up in it.

I once got blasted in 1 of these forums for using the word "sucks" in any context. In the tile of this thread, yes, it does imply an obvious closed-minded, presupposed & somewhat confrontational bias.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Have it your way folks. I though this was the Windows 8 discussions forum but I was mistaken. You must put a warning to all not to post any negative opinions on win8. This way you will not have any problems with naysayers as you can automatically ban them. I fear I am also close to a ban too.

I sincerely hope you all enjoy agreeing with each other and slapping each other's backs! I shall stick with windows 7 forums where I can be a fanboi for W7 and bash Win 8 without worrying! :) Have a nice day y'all!

Have it your way folks. I though this was the Windows 8 discussions forum but I was mistaken. You must put a warning to all not to post any negative opinions on win8. This way you will not have any problems with naysayers as you can automatically ban them. I fear I am also close to a ban too.

I sincerely hope you all enjoy agreeing with each other and slapping each other's backs! I shall stick with windows 7 forums where I can be a fanboi for W7 and bash Win 8 without worrying! :) Have a nice day y'all!

We can only hope..

Thanks for clearing that up Kemical! ;) Good to see you are still around! :)

You can close this thread if you want to since it's turned into.... this.. ;) haha

A negative opinion is one thing, and has NEVER been disallowed. An inflammatory comment on the other hand is posted only to start an argument, which I have already said is counter-productive to any discussion.

I'm with kemical, We can only hope!

Hey Rade,

good to see you too..

As you can see nothing has changed. Folks still get passionate about their point of view which is absolutely fine and welcomed. It's just a shame it always seems to descend into such negativity with any real discussion concerning pro's and cons totally lost.
I think that at times because we report on Microsoft releases and events users feel we have a vested interest or some sort of agenda.
One has only to start reading a few threads properly to see that we as much as the next guy will say it how it is. If we don't like something then we'll say it but to constantly derail threads to grind ones axe just isn't discussion.

Oh and just to get back to your original question:

Personally I do like Win 8. I'm not a huge fan of Metro but some of the Store apps are quite handy and all the free games keep me entertained when need be. I've been using it so long now that going back to 7 seems clunky.

Clunky indeed. During the beta test time frame I had a dual boot, Win 7 and Win 8 beta. When ever I went back to Win 7 I said, "Come on, do something". Win 7 did seem clunky to me.

Hey all..

What utter rubbish. Windows 8 is the best yet. Start it, open desktop, right click on screen, choose properties, on top left select change desktop icons, tick the boxes for the icons, user files, computer, etc then ok and come back out to desktop and your usual icons are there. Now it's no different to Win7.

To get back to Start screen press Windows key, to get to desktop click desktop ... To shutdown right top with mouse, settings, shutdown ... Then get on with your do ... And play when you can. Simples

Back