Windows 8 Windows 8 Sucks, yes it does.

The topic of whether an upgrade to Windows 8 is justified for certain customers is the topic of our day. This is because the usefulness of the Modern UI has been optimized for touch screens and will still work with the mouse. There is nothing wrong with expressing favoritism between one operating system or another.

Sure one can express that they prefer chocolate ice cream over vanilla. Gladiator's point (& others) I think is that to come barreling in w/ a statement such as "Win8 sucks" is, to those who know better and have listened to such blind rhetoric for a few months, is outside the realm of 'opinion' but, rather, simply saying something false.

I think the other point people were trying to make is, by now, there is little interest in letting people succeed in trying to get others to spend time over comparing new OSs to old. Especially when there is obvious presupposed bias involved.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

It seems like some of the Windows 8 fanboys act like old Br'er Rabbit attacking Tar Baby any time somebody posts about not liking Windows 8. Just ignore the post if they are that irritating.
Joe

Not liking something is entirely different than posting inflammatory comments in the hope of starting an argument. IMO that is all the original OP hoped to accomplish with his statement. And quite honestly he succeeded.

Windows 8 is good, only some of the tests i've seen people try to create are unfair, because of their lack of understanding for the way Windows 8 works. Bootup times for example, you are comparing probably the secure boot in UEFI, to the BIOS, and aside from that Windows 8 also has a hybrid boot, so in other words, you're not starting from being entirely shut down when you startup the system again, unless you're absolutely sure that it did a full shutdown. Other than that, it is faster than Windows 7 as I've noticed. I could go into further detail, but there's only so many things that the average user would notice, and that's where I think most of this hate for Windows 8 comes from. If you look at it from a business standpoint, this is the way Microsoft had to take Windows, and in some cases I would say that Windows 8 could be better, but nothing is perfect anyways, so I learn to adapt. :)

It seems like some of the Windows 8 fanboys act like old Br'er Rabbit attacking Tar Baby any time somebody posts about not liking Windows 8. Just ignore the post if they are that irritating.
Joe

Here here! I am back in Windows 7! Does this make me unfavorable? I have installed Windows 8, thus far, on about two dozen systems. I am actually really frustrated by the fact FRAPS won't work in Windows 8, it looks like I lost Windows SxS (Side by Side) for System File Integrity without file system problems, and by the end of my day yesterday, the famous BSOD was being replaced by a sad face with an error code over and over again for every possible kernel problem. Elements of the Windows 8 Pro OS just vanished for some reason. I suspect my internationally award winning anti-virus had something to do with Windows 8 compatibility.

The thing is - I'm not using Modern UI, and I really need FRAPS. Under no circumstance is Windows 7 an obsolete OS. It still has updates coming to it and the general support end date hasn't even been announced. I'm not saying this is a permanent solution, but I have noticed frame rate drops and longer encoding times that I'm dissatisfied with in Windows 8. I may stick with Windows 7 "while I'm here", so to speak. No harm done. No love lost.

I believe in the vision of Windows 8. On my 15" laptops, it is 10x easier to use than on a 27" wide screen. I would enjoy the tiles with a stylus and a touch screen. I just haven't reached that level of necessity, yet. As I have grown keenly aware of both wants and needs as of late, I want Windows 8 to work great, but if it doesn't, I need Windows 7 to fall back on.

And with the SSD, memory, and virtualization resources I have in place, running Windows 8 in a virtual machine seems like good practice for me right now.

Last edited:
Perhaps I can express an EXTREMELY negative response in an acceptable way. I think Windows 8 SUCKS for MY use. I am 71 years old and my professional days are behind me. Computers are a tool for enjoyment to me now and not a tool for business. I immensely enjoy familiarity at my stage in life. I have a son who gives me some very irritating glimpses of Windows 8. I don't like it; not even just a little bit!!! I do have a copy downloaded and saved on DVD through TechNet but I have never seen enough improvement in Windows 8 to encourage me to even install it on a computer of mine. (The negatives far outweigh the positives.) Although I am using a Windows 7 machine at the moment, it had to have Classic Shell installed and AERO disabled, Libraries disabled, Favorites disabled, and several other configuration modifications from default to make it even usable - for my uses. Windows 8 has taken the Windows 7 negatives such as these to the extremes. Windows 8 SUCKS, Yes it does!!!!! For the record, Windows 2000 is the best OS ever from Microsoft. It is far and away the most stable, the most business like, the least amount of frivolities that add nothing to the productiveness of the computer, and does not require the "foreplay" to use that has steadily increased with every OS since. Windows 8 is nothing but a continuation of frivolities.

I really do not believe anyone will ever develop an OS that is optimized for everything from a cell phone to a corporate client. (I did say "optimized" across the board.) Never have yet and likely never will. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Now if I am to be banned for expressing this opinion, so be it.

... Now if I am to be banned for expressing this opinion, so be it.

You will not be banned for having a dissenting opinion. It is against our rules. The whole point of a 3rd party site is to allow a difference of opinion and to discuss other platforms, if the opportunity or need arises. You're in the right section of our site for that. While some opinions can seem more brazen than others, that is your opinion, and you have your right to it. I can see a clear divergence where security issues began to infect Windows 2000 and Windows XP, insofar that something had to be done about the kernel. The stuff that was added in Windows Vista also encouraged more server to client interaction and security, including massive updates to kerberos (the login authentication protocol), etc. This trend continued with Windows 7, where I really think they balanced a secure kernel with resource use. Using Windows 2000 today, for instance, would not be a good idea, in any corporate or home environment. Similarly, I could not recommend Windows XP, due to its numerous and infectious security problems, and its slow slide towards imminent slow down....

Windows 7 on the other hand, seems to have remedied that problem. With Windows 8, there is room to spare for new human interface devices and new types of applications, but I do not see the development priority there from big publishers. Normally you would be seeing a large push right now, from companies like Intuit, to make some "Metro App" TurboTax or Quicken. I don't see that ever happening. Browse the NY Times with their app? Sure, ok. I don't want to supplant my production system with an e-reader, however. I would have seriously have preferred an ability to disable Modern UI (Metro) across the board, and it is this problem that has seemingly relegated me back to Windows 7, at least for a few days, as I evaluate what I would consider serious differences in usability and inter-operability on desktops vs. smaller computing devices.

I would have seriously have preferred an ability to disable Modern UI (Metro) across the board, and it is this problem that has seemingly relegated me back to Windows 7, at least for a few days, as I evaluate what I would consider serious differences in usability and inter-operability on desktops vs. smaller computing devices.
METRO and the lack of a start button are the main reasons I am selling my laptop with pre installed win8. I did not buy the laptop it was a gift for my birthday. I graciously accepted but after a week I decided that it will take too much modifications to make it work like win 7 with classic shell. As for security I think this is pure scaremongering; They can fix security issues with win 7 so there is no need to use security as a reason to go to win 8. But My opinion is that MS simply is not interested in our opinion on why we don't like a particular product. If I have to spend hours just to make an OS function like I want it to then no thanks!

No I am not a troll. I am sincerely expressing my opinion on why I don't like win 8 and yes I have done so many times. The reason is that if we keep quite then companies in general will serve us inferior products. I am an avid supporter of consumer rights and since MS is a monopoly then she should listen to our grievances. What will it hurt MS to just install a start button and give us the option of totally removing METRO?

I have a Start Orb, it's called Start8 (Classic Shell is just as effective). I do not go to the Win 8 Start Screen unless I specifically say go there using the Win Key. These changes took 5 minutes to accomplish. You have your right to your opinion. I just want others that might read this thread to realize that the 2 items you specifically mention take less than 5 minutes to remedy.

With this one modification my PC looks and feels just like Win 7. IMO that is not "too much modifications". Every other change I made to Win 8 were identical to the exact changes I made in Win 7.

So to recap, I added one small app to Win 8, and that's it. Win 7 only better! As I said you can do what you wish, and have your opinion, as can I.

I have a Start Orb, it's called Start8 (Classic Shell is just as effective).

I genuinely agree with this statement. After hours of diagnostics and comparisons with the online help of Richard Prescott (nmsuk), I have found that the source of my problem is a loss of data retention of my 512GB Samsung SSD due to memory failure of at least some 24GB Ripjaw DDR 1600 sticks (now replaced)!. This is the main SSD that houses my operating system, and the OS corruption is being sourced from here. I have performed hours of diagnostics to make this conclusion. The upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is clear: Windows 8 is a major kernel update to Windows NT 6.1 leading us to 6.2. The Modern UI interface can be disabled with Start8... It is an annoyance and there is a tolerance threshold for some people, but my problem has absolutely nothing to do with the performance capabilities of the operating systems. I digress this looks like a hardware issue, so previous comments can be disregarded as to the integrity of the OS in general.

Last edited:
Great news, Mike. Since your earlier posts, I was wondering how your assessments of Windows 8 (to me, anyway) were quite so much off the mark.
I am aware the complaints are getting too repetitious, but I see nothing alarming or wrong with Windows 8. I have tried the modern interface on one of my wealthier grandchildren's tablets. Great job. In my own environment, I stay with a third party Start menu and a cleaned up modern, and use both. No, as said by a poster earlier. Not a fan boy. I am open to criticism and, in turn, the freedom to criticise. Nothing mind shattering with Windows 8, but a useful move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had tested the early versions for nearly a year and knew what's coming. But I could not resist buying the $39.99 promo version. Installed it in a VMware virtual maching running off a USB attached SSD - runs great and never gave me any problems yet.

I guess you have to get used to it - it grows on you. I will probably stick with Windows 7 for my workhorses (6 systems), but I find it interesting to follow the developments. I will not tune it to look like Windows 7 - what is the point then. Up to now I was able to do anything I wanted and all programs that I installed did run. What more can you ask.

I hardly use the new applications although I like the weather app, LOL.

I had tested the early versions for nearly a year and knew what's coming. But I could not resist buying the $39.99 promo version. Installed it in a VMware virtual maching running off a USB attached SSD - runs great and never gave me any problems yet.

I guess you have to get used to it - it grows on you. I will probably stick with Windows 7 for my workhorses (6 systems), but I find it interesting to follow the developments. I will not tune it to look like Windows 7 - what is the point then. Up to now I was able to do anything I wanted and all programs that I installed did run. What more can you ask.

I hardly use the new applications although I like the weather app, LOL.

Definitely! Wow, did it take me a while to get used to, but now I really really enjoy it. I bought my own Surface and I've been glued to it ever since, great useful device. I hooked it up to display on my projector automated system at home and it's too useful. I could see how a Surface would be useful in a business environment, as well as for many home users. Hopefully the criticism from the Pro version won't damage the overall reputation of the Surface, because I think Microsoft did it with this!

I've seen people write drivers and stuff to have the Windows 7 explorer work on Windows 8, but same as you, I don't see the point.

I figured out how to change a byte in memory for the kernel on my Surface to run my own programs for the driver signing level, but personally I use the apps more often. When i'm on my desktop though, I don't really use any of the apps at all, except for the weather, and the news apps, along with a couple others.

For a tablet I prefer my 32GB Android Nexus 7 - besides, the Surface tablets are too expensive in my book. I paid $230 and can do anything. I make phone calls, use it as navigation device and all the usual apps. Great device and it fits into my pocket.

For a tablet I prefer my 32GB Android Nexus 7 - besides, the Surface tablets are too expensive in my book. I paid $230 and can do anything. I make phone calls, use it as navigation device and all the usual apps. Great device and it fits into my pocket.

Keep in mind while reading this post that I don't know anything about the device you have...

Does it have an HDMI out? SD card port? Apparently the Surface is tough though too because of the material Microsoft decided to use. I don't know, but I just enjoy my Surface. It looks nice, it can do most of what I think of doing with it, and I think the covers are more handy than any cover you can get with an iPad. I have both, the keyboard and touchcover for my 64GB RT Surface.

I know lots of Androild fanboys, but personally i've never found it that great... I have my reasons too.

Cheers!
~Ace

I really only use it 'on the road'. And there I do not need an HDMI port - which it does not have. In lieu of SD cards, you can attach a USB stick. I do that rarely. I do have a bluetooth keyboard - mainly for the wife who likes to type a lot, even when we are on the road. But I like it to be 'portable' - has to fit into my jacket pocket. Data from the PC to the tablet goes via the Wifi. Currently it is the highest rated 7" tablet on the market - so they say.

I really only use it 'on the road'. And there I do not need an HDMI port - which it does not have. In lieu of SD cards, you can attach a USB stick. I do that rarely. I do have a bluetooth keyboard - mainly for the wife who likes to type a lot, even when we are on the road. But I like it to be 'portable' - has to fit into my jacket pocket. Data from the PC to the tablet goes via the Wifi. Currently it is the highest rated 7" tablet on the market - so they say.

I usually don't bother with this highest rated stuff though for some good reasons. I kind of smile when I see things like that lol. You never know that this would mean the "best", just in itself, because not 100% of the time is it always based on a good rating system (not saying it never is though). But, in addition to that, new stuff always comes out on the market, that probably wasn't rated in comparison to the "highest rated" product at that time it earned it's title.

I don't debate with others' personal preferences though :). I have my own personal preferences too, and I know how annoying it gets to have someone tell you something that infers that your preferences are bad.

Cheers
~Ace

Back