Windows 8 Windows 8 Sucks, yes it does.

Right - usually there is no 'best'. It really depends on your own needs and preferences.

And you are right - they always come out with new and better devices. Yesterday I read a recent performance comparison of SSDs and the Samsung 840 Pro was rated the 'best'. But since this report was issued, OCZ came out with the Vector which is faster (better?) than the Samsung.

In response specifically to the original poster, no, I don't think Windows 8 sucks. While the OS certainly has some weak aspects to it, the strengths far out-class them.

As a self-acclaimed "techie," who's dual-booted Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and currently uses the full version (exclusively, no dual-booting) on both a laptop (64-bit Windows 8 Pro, non-touch) and on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (32-bit Windows 8 Pro), I'd like to think I have considerable experience using the operating system and on two of the four recommended hardware types (I've not yet experienced Win 8 on a laptop with touch capabilities or a touch-all-in-one).

After roughly three months of using the OS, I find my enjoyment of it ranges between neutral and absolutely a delight. It really all depends upon what hardware you're using the OS on. Clearly, and advertised as such, the operating system is touch optimized. I am completely in love with using Windows 8 on my tablet. The Metro UI is perfect and built for touch devices. On non-touch hardware, however, the Metro UI feels a bit clunky (and IMO, it has ever since they removed the ability to scroll thru the Start Screen using the scroll wheel).

But the clunkiness of Metro on non-touch devices really doesn't make Windows 8 a terrible experience. The ability to switch to Desktop Mode returns the user to the "good ole days," similar to Windows 7, with one important exception: It's better. It's not just the same desktop we knew from the pervious iteration; Microsoft has made many behind-the-scenes enhancements and upgrades, making the desktop environment not only more capable, but often more user friendly as well.

Yes, I think Microsoft has some work to do to make Windows 8 perfect, but I'd say it's FAR from terrible. Just remember, it could've been much worse; it could've been Vista :D

In response specifically to the original poster, no, I don't think Windows 8 sucks. While the OS certainly has some weak aspects to it, the strengths far out-class them.

As a self-acclaimed "techie," who's dual-booted Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and currently uses the full version (exclusively, no dual-booting) on both a laptop (64-bit Windows 8 Pro, non-touch) and on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (32-bit Windows 8 Pro), I'd like to think I have considerable experience using the operating system and on two of the four recommended hardware types (I've not yet experienced Win 8 on a laptop with touch capabilities or a touch-all-in-one).

After roughly three months of using the OS, I find my enjoyment of it ranges between neutral and absolutely a delight. It really all depends upon what hardware you're using the OS on. Clearly, and advertised as such, the operating system is touch optimized. I am completely in love with using Windows 8 on my tablet. The Metro UI is perfect and built for touch devices. On non-touch hardware, however, the Metro UI feels a bit clunky (and IMO, it has ever since they removed the ability to scroll thru the Start Screen using the scroll wheel).

But the clunkiness of Metro on non-touch devices really doesn't make Windows 8 a terrible experience. The ability to switch to Desktop Mode returns the user to the "good ole days," similar to Windows 7, with one important exception: It's better. It's not just the same desktop we knew from the pervious iteration; Microsoft has made many behind-the-scenes enhancements and upgrades, making the desktop environment not only more capable, but often more user friendly as well.

Yes, I think Microsoft has some work to do to make Windows 8 perfect, but I'd say it's FAR from terrible. Just remember, it could've been much worse; it could've been Vista :D

and IMO, it has ever since they removed the ability to scroll thru the Start Screen using the scroll wheel

Hmm? They never did. I can use my mouse scroll wheel to navigate side to side just fine in Windows 8 Pro x64 on my dekstop.

Psst... It's not "Metro" anymore though :). Microsoft does not encourage the use of that term because it is now "Microsoft Design Style" due to a copyright claim from some other (German?) company.

Yes, I also use the scroll wheel fully, in Windows 8. But nevertheless, dbG33K, a good post. I have pretty much an identical background and use as yourself. I have to perform quite a lot of third party testing, on a daily basis, so, for my convenience, I have weakened to having both the modern interface and the legacy desktop - with a third party start menu. I switch cheerfully between both on an almost constant basis, and, Members must take my word for it! - I have experienced no particular problems , other than I might have had with earlier OSs. On occasions when I offer help on pages such as this, my biggest task is often, trying to simulate the problem which has been posted.
My only disappointment with Windows 8 is the Store. It is was highly publicised by Microsoft, with several boasts regarding the monitoring and approval. Microsoft themselves, and other publishers, have introduced very simple tutorials on how to write a program for the store. The result has been a mass of previously known legacy apps, converted for use in that store. It is loaded, to a majority, with low quality apps, and even duplications of such. They appear to be totally unmonitored by Microsoft. The star rating bears no resemblance to the quality of the product. The categories have not been thoroughly checked. One of my tasks has been working, at random, through these apps to check the final product. In the so-called "free" category, I would guess that 50% are demos, or leading to an advert for the product, requiring payment. In fact, the store has now become so large, that it is easier to google for something you may be interested in. Often these will turn out to be for earlier OSs. which is, of course, counterproductive to Microsoft's intentions.

But, back to the thread title: - Congrats, Microsoft, on introducing a new age triple hatted OS. It can be used on tablets in one environment, and comfortably on stationaries, in the other - both with or without touch screens.

P.S. Fwiw.
The subject of the name "Metro", was a rumour only. I could be wrong, but I think the original cooment came from Mary Foley, who alleges close contact with Microsoft reps.
As I live in Northern Europe, I am well acquainted with the "Metro" group (from a shopping point of view, that is). There is no way that a hypermarket could be confused with a computer product. The name "Metro" is used throughout the world, and any lawsuit would be doomed to failure. (The Paris underground, I think, got its name long before the supermarket LOL.)
At the time of the rumour, this is what Microsoft had to say, it's up to you to believe it, (or not).

'We have used "Metro style" as a code-name during the product development cycle across many of our product lines, As we get closer to launch and transition from industry dialogue to a broader consumer dialogue, we will use our commercial names.'

I may have contributed something to this thread, already and feel like saying something, now, after reading the last couple of entries.

It is great to see these things being said, again. It seems we are seeing more and more such sentiments & editorials, as time passes. Personally, I find it both refreshing and fitting, not to mention fairly accurate, at least in spirit. Much of this view, understanding & attitude has been put forth for months simultaneously whilst we've heard much bashing and lack of insight expressed.

For myself, it is particularly interesting. I am an IT Pro & MS Partner, own a MS Partner IT company. I've used Windows OS over about 5 of them plus had my hands on others, experience w/ clients, info directly from or w/ MS, face-to-face w/ friends & colleagues, seminars, conferences, webcasts, several Tech Forums and an Invited, Registered MS Beta Tester for Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8. So watching the comments & issues discussed, the hype & hearsay (misleading, misinformed myths), seeing the dynamic change, noticing time & intellect painting a more realistic picture or @ least a feeling that is more widespread than it seemed.

There is always a phenomena of knocking new OSs. Windows 8 got it both-barrels cus it 'looked' differently, was manipulated differently... ummm, it IS different, so it's not surprising, unexpected or earth shattering that it be different. Where the humanity of abhorring change tries to snag things up is that different does not necessarily equate w/ bad.

Yes, one can scroll latterly w/ a mouse wheel in Windows 8 just fine.

Semantics be damned, I'll just call it the Win8 UI & Store APPs.

Is it necessary to add non-Win8 start styles to Windows 8? Absolutely not. Touch or non-Touch it works really well w/out any such things. The cosmetics & navigation become non-issues. Stuff is easy, quick & handy to find & access... more direct & efficient than ever. Things are always 'waiting in the wings', @ one's fingertips yet, never in the way. The technologies below the surface & the benefits, value & performance derived is both terrific & impressive. There are cool Features. But, yes, in a word this OS is better that any predecessor.

As for Store APPs... some are kinda neat and fun, some are utilitarian, none are imperative or obligatory. Many are similar to web based offerings. For some there is a funky interplay between APPs, entertainment & (social) communication.

Let me go back to something for a moment. It is sad & frustrating that the Windows 8 UI blocks them from the rest of the OS. It is a darn fine 'rest of it'. It becomes silly because one can, work 100% on Desktop, including having an Applications window on the Taskbar for ALL applications, Store APPS and all other installed programs & utilities meaning, now, even changing screens is no longer necessary. One can have nothing on Start or some Tiles, it's 100% optional, using the Start screen is 100% optional... searching on Start is pretty cool, though, that's for sure.

Anyway, yes, they are good, sound, valid remarks. I think the more said of this ilk, the more it's heard, the more people use Windows 8, learning, discovering, appreciating & understanding it the more we will see the perception 'out there' evolve.

It is not Windows 8 that is the heart of the matter... it is Windows 8 thinking, meaning, 'spirit'. Computing is turning a corner exemplified by Windows 8. It is not a destination but, merely a new part of the road ahead.

Few will ever find anything or everything completely to their liking but, generally, Windows 8 can be very likable.
Yes, the UI is no big deal, the 'inners' are its strength and it is both a joy and a respectable work-horse. I enjoy and trust others, also, will enjoy Windows 8.

Sorry, went longer than expected.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

This discussion about the Pros and Cons of Windows 8 will probably still go on. As people are using it more and more, they will get used to it. But I still think that MS would have been better advised to make all those under the cover improvements in a Windows 7 style version and left the Metro style to the touch devices. This hybrid interface is plain clumsy.

I do have a Windows 8 installation but because of the clumsiness I hardly ever use it. I only maintain it to 'keep up with the boys'. This is not because I do not like to use another system - quite the opposite. I use my Zorin system a lot. It is very efficient, straight forward and fast - even running it under VMware from an external disk. If the people in Linux land would not be so chaotic, they could make a killing.

First impressions are important and for unprepared desktop users it isn't a posative first experince for most. Most people don't want to relearn how to use a computer or spend hours searching for ways to make it the way it was. MS knew after the first public beta that they had a problem with the interface but bulled ahead witht thier plans even though the apps are still a mess.
Joe

Well, people will always have varied & differing takes on things but, that said, I do have a hard time applying "clumsy" to Windows 8. Personally, I have been using Win8 for about a year. I really don't use the Start screen or WinQ much @ all but, not cus of any distain or disgust but, just cus I prefer not changing screens to access things. Aside from that, myself, I find Win8 easy, fluid, fast and efficient and all of the above more so than any Windows OS before it. And this is w/out trying to unnecessarily dressing it up to look or act like some (prior) OS that it's not. Many people will & do like Windows 8 and several others think they shouldn't. No issue needs be made over Store APPs as they are 100% optional, anyway. There is tons more that makes the OS a very respectable offering besides Store APPs.

Clients I have helped initiate them to Windows 8 like it, find it a cinch to use and the more they are w/ it the more impressed they become and w/ a couple of show-n-tell bits that took only a few minutes (not hours), they don't see any arduous learning cure or traumatic adjustment.

Just a mention that many are not seeing the interface as a problem, maybe even quite the opposite. While controversy may rage on, it is a good OS, does things well and for me, problem-free and for everyone it is here to stay as an example of future of computing both for stationary & mobile devices be they Touch or not.

I doubt I'm unique... my 1st impression was, "Well, this is neat & interesting, let's see (discover) and learn how it works." Glad I did.

Cheers,
Drew

Wish we lived closer, Kemical. You could come and have a beer and we could YAWN together!!!!!

I may be in the minority but, I like Windows 8 period. I have not found anything I hate about it. Sure things can always improve. But, this is a big improvement over Windows Vista and Windows 7. One machine I installed it over Windows 7 Ultimate, while the other is a new Sony laptop that came with Windows 8.

Loren,

I am quite happy to agree w/ you! But, everyone in this forum pretty much knows I like Windows 8, am impressed w/ it, have had no problems w/ it and feel it's the best OS Windows has offered, so far. I, too, don't find fault(s) w/ it. I have it so I can access everything w/ ever leaving Desktop so, navigating is a breeze. The performance metrics are amazing in Windows 8.

Cheers,
Drew

Wish we lived closer, Kemical. You could come and have a beer and we could YAWN together!!!!!

Hehe I'll drink to that David! Always wanted to visit the land of the vikings so you never know.. :)

There may well be some good reasons for saying an OS is bad. ME was about the best example of that type of OS. And I am no longer a fan of a new OS a year. That's too much. And just saying an OS sucks does not help any buyer make an intelligent decision as to whether or not too buy it.

Just to clarify, the actual Windows OS lifecycle is 3 yrs. Notice it is exactly 3yrs. between Windows 7 & 8. The predicted & expected release of Windows 9 is Q4 2015.

Cheers,
Drew

I remember when Windows XP was released by company. Many Windows 98 and Windows 2000 users tried it and then threw it away in ''garbage'' saying ''it sucks''. Then those people who claimed that it sucks eventually shifted to Windows XP and became used to it and started liking it. This is the reason Windows XP ruled OS industry for years. And it is still most popular Microsoft's operating system next to Windows 7.
Same happened with Windows vista. People were hesitant to switch to it and there were certain reasons for this. It didn't support old hardware much. Finding drivers for hardware compatible with vista was really difficult. And it was made difficult by hardware manufacturers who were stubborn to release supported drivers for vista for old hardware.
Now, why people like 7 too much and do not like Vista. I don't know what their problem is. But I must say windows 7 is nothing different from Vista, In fact, vista is the basic platform and Windows 7 is just an improved form of Vista. The reason behind the fact that vista is not much used now is that either computer supports 7 or does not support 7. If it does not support 7, people use XP on it. If it supports, they go for 7. So, 7 and XP are most used now.
Now, windows 8 is out of box. And majority of ''genii'' have judged it on the base of just look. They didn't even bother to test its inside. All they want is classic desktop style. Otherwise, 8 is crap for them. This is the problem with most people. They are always hesitant to adapt something new.
I have tested Windows 8 and I have found it lot better than 7. Certain new features have been added. And security wise, it is more reliable than 7. And most of all, it supports almost every single software and game which runs on 7. You can even use Windows 7 drivers and these will install and work fine for 8 as well. I have tried few old games and to my amaze, those which didn't work on 7 worked on Windows 8.
And to those who think windows 8 sucks, just quit whining. Now, you should learn to become used to touchscreen based systems. Technology is changing. Touchscreen is going to be the future of IT. If you do not like, Modern UI, certain tools are available which will enable classic desktop style for you.

'NT',

We are hearing & seeing comments, feelings, observations and attitudes such as you have expressed more & more as time passes. Pretty much knew and expected this is what there would be. You are right... I have been in this IT business for a while now and yes we go through the same bashing, balking, rumours, myths, misinformation and struggle to adapt w/ each OS that comes down the road. More & more will catch on to Windows 8, for whatever reason, @ whatever point in time... and in 3 yrs we'll do it all, again. Ahhhhhhh, grrrrrrr, whaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Vista did get a bad rap. People did blame the OS when, indeed, it was the 3rd party vendors & manufacturers causing the issues.
And, yes, Windows 7 IS Vista; IT irony.

And, yes, good as 7 is/was, Windows 8 is (even) better.

Anyway, you state some valid points. Maybe as people hear them more & more the general perceptions will become more accurate and fair or 'just' might be a better word, as in 'proper'. It is true, too many are mired in cosmetics & superficial mechanics of the new OS and not realizing or appreciating the rest of this fine OS that is Windows 8.

I must say, though, clinging to XP, @ this stage in the game is getting a bit silly.

It's a continuum, the cycle goes on (supposed to be every 3 yrs). Technology will keep changing... just faster than people.

Cheers,
Drew

I have been using Windows 8 since day 1 of the pre-releases and I still don't like it. And that is not because it is different, but because it is a hybrid which is clumsy to use. I spent the $40 and have it installed, but I hardly ever use it - maybe once or twice per month. I use my Mint Mate and my Zorin systems a lot more - practically every day. If M$ does not come up with something better, I will go with one of those Linux systems.

I find Windows 8 clumsy too. I didn't have problems going from Windows 98 to XP. XP to Vista the big annoyance was that changed they names and locations of so many things in the control panel and all of their new security like UAC and the sharing/permission mess.
Joe

Back