Windows 8 Windows 8 to go

Jeff777

Extraordinary Member
HI,

I have been running into an issue and see if anyone else has had the same experience and what was the resolution.

I am trying to get windows 8 to go, to work from a usb flash drive. I do all the steps that are necessary in order to get windows 8 to boot from the usb flash drive and to set it up. The problem I am facing is after the usb flash drive is complete and ready to install windows I get the continuous splash screen. I have setup a few usb flash drives from windows 7 and windows 8 both giving me the same exact problem. I am using a windows 8 eval copy 64bit enterprise edition. I have read that 32bit edition works just fine, however, I am trying 64bit and yes I always make sure that I am choosing the usb flash drive at the bootup screen.

I have also tried using AOMEI which is a partition assistant program that will create the bootable usb drive for windows 8. It works for an external HDD, but I have not been able to get it to work for the usb flash drive. I am going over the instructions many times to make sure I have gone in order and everything turns out correct no errors, It's just it stays on the splash screen and that is as far as I get. Any help would be very greatful thanks in advance.

Hi Jeff,
1. Windows will not run from usb... this is by design.
2. You can install it from a usb if the motherboard has that option... what is the system you want to put it on?

p.s. windows 8 is not the same as 7... don't try to use the same tools as you do on 7... they don't work!

ussnorway...there is such a thing that allows you to run windows on a usb called "windows to go". I've never heard of it before, but after some searching...right from MS, have a look, watch the demo video. Although it seems to be limited to the Enterprise version. There are some sites that will show how to set it up with other versions of the OS. Here's one....2nd link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/devices/windowstogo.aspx

http://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how...-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

Guys,

Just to let you know there is such a thing called Windows to go, it is a feature they built inside of windows 8.

Microsoft made the flat statment that they won't ever do this... I should know better!

Thanks guys.

Resolved my own issue finally. I found out that windows 8.1 to go will NOT boot from a removable flash drive however, windows 8 to go will boot from a flash drive. I since went back to reload windows 8 to go on flash drive and worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom