Windows 8 Windows 8 - USB Drivers Signature Issue

jorgen

I have been using Windows 8 64-bit Build 9200 (RTM) on a standard laptop device for about 3 or 4 weeks and everything has been working great!

Not sure when it happened, but this morning I noticed that the USB ports were not working...
I changed the hard disk to a Win7 64bit to see if it was a hardware or OS issue, and the USB ports were working perfectly...

Went back to my Win8 and looked at the device manager USB and found all ports had an exclamation, and the following message was on each of them:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

I am not sure what happened! -- I know the USB ports were working at some point in the installation and beyond, as I used them to restore data and apps. I also performed a system restore point, but that did not fix the issue.

Before performing a fresh install, I want to ask this community:

1) Has anyone encountered similar issues? What can I do to fix it?
2) Is the a "repair" disk / process for Win8?

Cheers
Jorgen

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I've found that for the most part the native Windows 8 drivers seem to work reasonably well in these types of situations so....
Open device manager and right click each problem device indicated in device manager and choose "Uninstall", if you are prompted about uninstalling the drivers answer in the affirmative.
Reboot you machine and allow Windows 8 to automatically detect and install the new hardware and see if that provides relief from the current issue.
Regards
Randy

Many thanks for the prompt reply! (and also for the welcome)
For each of the 7 USB drivers with an exclamation I did the uninstall. I then rebooted, and unfortunatelly gave me the same error.,..

Very strange..

We're going to need some system specs so.... http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-errors-bsods/5278-help-us-help-you-please-read.html
Take some time and fill out as much detail as possible. Especially with respect to your mainboard manufacturer, model name, model number, Revision number, etc., much of that particular information may be available on or in your motherboard manual documentation.
And any specifics as to the actual problem USB hardware (Renesas/NEC, Etron, etc.,) (USB 2.0, USB 3.0)
Check with the laptop vendor and see what they have in the form of drivers with respect to your System BIOS, Chipset, etc.
If it's an older model they are not likely to have much in the way of anything specific for Windows 8 and installing older third party drivers might cause more harm than good.

With respect to your initial two questions;
1) Has anyone encountered similar issues? What can I do to fix it?
2) Is the a "repair" disk / process for Win8?
1.) No I haven't experienced anything like this and so far I have not installed any third party drivers for any of my USB hardware. Third party Windows 8 drivers seem to be lagging and actually the native Windows8 drivers for my USB 3.0 hardware has it working better in Windows 8 than it ever did in Windows 7.
2.) You have a few different options regarding repair a Windows 8 install. You have the Reset option which pretty much wipes everything and returns it to a more or less factory fresh / first install state and you have the Refresh option which preserves your personal stuff but will require the re-installation of your programs. Both of which can be evoked from PC Settings under the Charms Bar (WinKey + C)
AND
A recovery disk can be created from the Control Panel "Recovery" link. Click "create a recovery disk" then "next" (for USB) or then click the link that says "Create a system repair disc with a CD or DVD instead"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the help here! -- It is a fairly new Dell Latitude E4300 which I know it works with Windows 8 so it is not the machine, or the native drivers, as it worked once. It must have been something I installed that set the drivers off-- I just can not imagine what it could have been...

As for the recovery disk process:
Unfortunately I did not have a custom recovery image created...
Creating a recovery disk with recimg.exe after I have finished installed all my apps and setting my configurations is a very good best practice to have handy!

I end up re-installing Windows 8 and after installing all the apps, I created one and moved it to a DVD. :)
THANK YOU for this pointer!!

I end up re-installing Windows 8 and after installing all the apps, created one and moved it to a DVD. --

This was a good learning experience! :)

Many of these very strange failures are due to corrupt installations. When I recommend a reinstallation, I also recommend a new download of the ISO file from an approved site, a new SLOW burn to DVD, then a Custom Installation to the partition/drive of choice. This process eliminates a bad ISO or DVD burn as the culprit.

Back