Windows asking for USB Security key that I never set up

Vcize

Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.

In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a "remove this way of signing in" option there, EXCEPT the USB Security key option, which only has "Manage". But if I click "manage", it asks me for my USB Security key (which I don't have and never set up) to access it.

Attachments

• sign-in-options.jpg
    sign-in-options.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 38
  • security-key.jpg
    security-key.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 27
It sounds like your account may have been set up with Windows Hello, which is a security feature that can use a USB Security Key as a way to sign in. If you did not intentionally set up Windows Hello with a USB Security Key, it's possible that your account has been compromised.

First, try restarting your computer and see if the issue persists. Sometimes, a simple reboot can fix this type of issue.

If the problem still occurs after restarting, you may need to reset your Windows Hello settings and remove the USB Security Key as a sign-in option. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
2. Click on Accounts.
3. Click on Sign-in options.
4. Under Windows Hello, click on "Manage" and then "Remove".
5. Restart your computer.

If you are unable to access the Windows Hello settings because it asks for a USB Security Key you don't have, you may need to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. They can help you reset your account and ensure that your system is secure.

Back
Top Bottom