Windows 7 Windows configuration stuck at 0%

spitfire858

Hi there, I am having an issue with my windows configuration as usual when a Windows update comes along I click shut down and it updates and then once I power back on I get to the Welcome screen and it configures the new updates. Well right now I am having trouble because I run the update and then once I turn it back on the configuration stays at 0% and I have to power down and enter in Safe Mode so it reverts back to it's former updates. I don't want to have to go through this endless cycle forever is there anyway I can find out what these updates are? It is 4 of them and if I can find out what they are is there a way I can manually install each one individually to avoid this configuration freeze?

Not quite clear on what you are saying but.
I have my settings set to "Check for updates but let me choose...etc."

When updates are available, a blue icon pops up in the notification tray. When I click this, a window opens.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I click ,for example, "1 optional update is available" and another window pops up. Here I can choose, by marking the square,, that I wish to download and install the offered update.

If there is more than one, I can selct all, or mark them individually. Should I wish to ignore them, I right click the particular offer, and "Hide" it.

Sometimes, but certainly not always, I am then asked to reboot and services are closed down, by requirement, and the update is fully installed.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, it happens that an update has previously been installed. There is no message to indicate this. The update then remains uninstalled until you choose to hide it. This could be the problem in your case.

It might help if you post the names of the updates you are having problems with?

See thats one of the problems I have no idea what the updates are. How do I activate the feature you just described?

Open the Control panel (select icon view over top right)
Select Windows Update (Last item)
Select "Change settings"
In this window, it is a good and safe idea to put a tick against evrything.
Under "Important updates", click the small arrow and you will have some choices as to how you wish to receive updates.
IMO, the best one is "Check for updates but let...etc"

When you have done that, click the back arrow and in tjhe new window, select "check for updates". You can also, in the same window, look at your update history and see if you have any which have not been installed.

I have the same exact problem. Starting today, when I turn my computer on, right before the log-in page, there is says "Configuring Windows updates..... 0%...... Do Not Turn Off Your Computer" and it stays as 0% for a awful lots of time. It does not let me do anything until lots of time pass and screen shows "update has failed" and goes to the log-in screen. When I turn my computer once again, same thing occurs. I wait, it fails, and goes to log-in as though nothing has happend (I am very frustrated for sure tho). This is a waste of time and I wish some one could find me a solution to this problem. I don't think I am the only person having this problem. Thank you,

Last edited:
Same thing here. It looks like this is becoming rampant on the internet.
I noticed that mine started doing this after the latest update (I believe April 27th). Ironically, I just said to myself the other day "I sure like this Windows 7". I guess I spoke way too soon.
The problem is when you shut the computer down it automatically installs the update with apparently no way of stopping it. Then on restart I get the "Configuring Windows updates 0% Do Not Turn Off Your Computer" message, which sits there forever.

Like I said, this occurred immediately after the last update. Obviously, the updates are not loading correctly.

I am sick of MS sending out updates that don't work. Oh, BTW, this a new system that worked flawlessly before the update attempt. How about MS send out a fix, and dam quick too. Sick of this crap.

I am sure the last two posters will strongly disagree, but, I install Windows 7 for others on a weekly basis. I also install, and reinstall, countless times on my home and family computers. I have been doing this since the early Betas. I have not yet encountered the problem.

" It looks like this is becoming rampant on the internet"

No rudeness intended, but from where did you come to that observation? I googled, after reading you comment, and did not find an excessive number of posts on the subject, only repeated or recopied posts. I must confess though, that there are different ways of indexing a search and I might have tried a poor one! Only comments I could find was the possibility of third party bugs in the installatiomns.

Last edited:
Davehc:

Under the google search if you type in "Windows 7 update" you will see that the term "Windows 7 update Stuck" comes up almost right away. Based on Googles algorithm for search results I am thinking that there are quite a few doing this search. I may be wrong about that and if so I must apologize.

The extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY frustrating part about this is my computer worked just fine before these latest "updates" were downloaded and installed. My computer worked 100% perfect before this update. It is a pretty straightforward system.....
Asus MB
AMD x6
Radeon card
Gskill memory (8BG)

The really frustrating part is this I can't call any body about this (I built this system) and I quite simply do not have time to sit for hours in front of my computer to try and fix, I have a job to do and a living to make. MS screwed this up, they need to fix it.

Yes..... I am torqued.

BTW......

I halted Avast while this was going on.

I did not install any other malware or adware programs.

MS put out an update and now I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. :mad:

I don't doubt your accuracy in your reply. Unfortunately, typing Windows 7 update did not get me any returns of "stuck" for the first four pages (Bing). The only result I did get was related to an update issued by MS, to counteract activation hacks.
Windows 7 Update - Searches for Pirated Copies of Windows
Not relevant in your case.

Windows 7 update stuck did, however, get some results, but they mostly led back to the same origins, and most were more than a year old. There were, however. a few interesting suggestions to stop it. (apart from reinstalling!!).

As assurance of my sincerity, here is a picture of the history updates on an OS I installed yesterday. The "fails" were my own fault as I was busy installing relevant program items as the update was laoding. You can see that when I stopped, the updates were, in fact, then succesful.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Dave:

I was using Google for my search vs Bing so there may have been a difference in our results there.

BUT... Eureka!!! It seems to be working now. I uninstalled Avast and when I shut down the computer it appeared to install the updates correctly.

Hopefully (fingers crossed, knocking on wood) that solved the issue, although I have not reinstalled Avast yet. (dang near afraid to :tongue: )

Thats great news. I think one of the best suggestions I read (as mentioned before) was to follow what I do practise, and how I setup Windows for others. Select the option, as I mentiioned in my very first post, to "Choose..etc, and then , instead of downloaded the whole bunch, do a selective install each time.

fwiw. I am now a regular user of MSE. There are comments around the web, pluses and minuses, but it works fine for me.

Hi there, I am having an issue with my windows configuration as usual when a Windows update comes along I click shut down and it updates and then once I power back on I get to the Welcome screen and it configures the new updates. Well right now I am having trouble because I run the update and then once I turn it back on the configuration stays at 0% and I have to power down and enter in Safe Mode so it reverts back to it's former updates. I don't want to have to go through this endless cycle forever is there anyway I can find out what these updates are? It is 4 of them and if I can find out what they are is there a way I can manually install each one individually to avoid this configuration freeze?

I have exactly the same problem. I think MS have re-employed the VISTA QA team. I'm x64 Windows Ultimate.

Cannot seem to find a fix other than to remove last updates (6) & switch off auto updating.
Or just use the Ubuntu install which has none of these problems.

Thank God for Linux.

Back