Windows Defender not working properly

allented

As of the last few days windows defender will not open or start up and has turned off spyware and virus protection. In the bottom corner of the screen is a flag saying i have 2 PC issues to be solved, which is turning on virus and spyware protection. When i click on it to turn them on an error message appears with the the error code 0x80073afc.
I have searched through various threads on whirlpool and several other sites but am unable to find any resolution to this problem.
If anyone knows of a solution or could help out with fixing this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

That error means it can't load a MUI file. These are the resource files that contain the language specific string data for a program.

Here is a copy of those files provided your on Windows 10 1903. You can unzip these files and copy them to "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\en-US". If you're on a different language you'd need these files from a system using the same language.

Alternate method would be to run
sfc /scannow or dism /online /restorehealth /cleanup-image to potentially repair the corrupt/missing MUI files.

A reboot may be required after

Attachments

• Windows-Defender-en-US.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 428
Back