Windows 7 Windows Disk Image uesless

Brian Hendricks

I had mt boot drive fail and replaced it with a drive of the same size, tried to use the disk image I created 2 months ago to recover my boot drive with and all I get is an error telling me there are no drives that it can use (not the exact msg.) to restore to. so it seems to be a useless feature if it won't work. I'm pretty P.O.'ed about it.

Go through your procedure for creating the image and restoring the image. Is the hard drive new?

Since you are in the Windows Recovery Environment, you can use shift+F10 on the second window and get a command prompt. From there, you can use Diskpart to check the drive to see if it shows up.

I assume it is showing in the bios?

Go through your procedure for creating the image and restoring the image. Is the hard drive new?

Since you are in the Windows Recovery Environment, you can use shift+F10 on the second window and get a command prompt. From there, you can use Diskpart to check the drive to see if it shows up.

I assume it is showing in the bios?

yes in bios no not a new drive and it does have stuff on it. I can see it n the recovery environment

I would try to clean it with diskpart prior to doing the re-image. Use the Shift+10, and open the command window.

Type the following with enter after, and make sure the disk number you are using is the one you want to work on.

Diskpart
lis dis
sel dis X
(use the correct disk number 0,1,etc)
clean
exit
exit

Then try again. The commands in Diskpart can be used with only the first three letters, so lis dis is list disk

And of course you know, everything on the drive will be removed whether during a re-image, or using the clean command.

Back
Top Bottom