Windows 7 Windows doesn't want to Shut Down only Log off.

Eric Canto

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my computer and Window 7 that I was hoping you could provide insight on how to fix. Recently I have noticed that Windows 7 doesn't want to shut down. Heck, it doesn't even restart and Hibernate. When I go to Shut down the only option it provides is Log Off. You can shut down after the the computer Logs Off my account, but this wasn't the case before.

I also feel it might be important to note that the computer prevents me from entering the Task Manager and Ctrl- Alt- Del no longer does anything.

Is this an issue with the OS or could this be something like a Virus. Any help would be appreciated. This issue is driving me nuts.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for any inconveniances.

Hi Eric Canto and Welcome to the Forum.

I would download, install and update Malwarebytes' Free. Run a quick scan in Safe Mode. If it finds anything I would run a full scan in Safe Mode.

Then run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt. (Open the Start Menu. Click on All Programs and Accessories >> r-click on Command Prompt, select Run as administrator.
OR
Type cmd in the Start Menu Search. When the command window opens r-click on the cmd icon in the top right corner of the window and select Run as administrator

Without a good AV program, like AVG or AVast (FREE), running before you first go online, you could be infected in the first 10 seconds.
Bad stuff is floating around out there all the time, like pollen. Just a few seconds in that environment, unprotected, and you're infected.

NEVER go on-line without GOOD protection.
But when major functions of windows all of a sudden quit working, you can bet on it being some virus, trojan, or other malware.

Malwarebytes is a good program to start your DIS-Infection. If you BUY the program, it can run in real time to keep you constantly protected. I use it in conjunction with AVG 2011 Pro, to keep my own computer completely safe from Malware.

Good Luck Mate!
Old Timer :cool:

Back