Windows 10 Windows Download Problem! :(

Kirsty McNally

I can never download any zip files! This has been a problem with Windows 8 and Windows 10! When I try this happens:
- Firstly instead of a .zip icon before the download name it has the Chrome symbol. It opens a new Google Tab for a brief moment and then quits it. It then downloads another version down below and when I click that, the exact same thing.
What's going on, it's really messing up my laptop.
Any answers will be appreciated. :)

Hi

If that does't do it, you can also try using a different browser and see if the same thing happens.

Try and download a zip file using Windows Edge, which you already have.

If that works then maybe you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome.

Mike

What Antivirus program are you running? There is often a protective function in them, to prevent downloading of compressed, and therefore unknown, files.
Also, reference Mikes comment. Browsers can have options to do the same. Have you customised your default browser in any way?

What Antivirus program are you running? There is often a protective function in them, to prevent downloading of compressed, and therefore unknown, files.
Also, reference Mikes comment. Browsers can have options to do the same. Have you customised your default browser in any way?
Hi

If that does't do it, you can also try using a different browser and see if the same thing happens.

Try and download a zip file using Windows Edge, which you already have.

If that works then maybe you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome.

Mike
I have scanned for malware and there is none. I have tried using different browers but no luck.
I am using AVG Anti-Virus. I don't know if i've customised my default browser

Hi Kirsty,
it's possible that AVG may have some bearing on this issue. Try reverting back to the default Windows Defender (uninstall AVG) just as a test. In fact the windows 10 version of Defender is basically Microsofts server AV and far better than it's other incarnations..
To be honest if you not sure whether you've customised your browser then chances are that you haven't.

Hi

You could try just turning AVG off and see if you still have the same problem.
That's assuming that it has an off button, I haven't used AVG so I'm not up on how it works exactly.

I haven't found it necessary to use any anti virus software other then Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in many years, and I haven't had any real malware is so long I can't remember the last time.

Mike

This problem happened even before I got any security on my device so it can't b that. I made sure to clean out all viruses when I did.

Kirsty

If not too private, are these files from one particular site, or anywhere on the web?
This is rather an unknown problem. I would suspect that it was on windows 8, and it has carried over to Windows 10. Are you using the upgrade or a fresh install. If the former, how did you "clean out" your viruses, and at what stage did you reinstall an antivirus program?

Back