Windows 7 Windows Experience Index Problem

jmeyering

So I just did a clean install with 7, and When I try to run the WEI program, It hangs up on the Video decoding section. I'll be the first to admit my computer is a piece of crap. only 1.5 gb ram, Intel integrated graphics

Any ideas why this might be happening? MY whole computer freezes on me and I have to force shut it down.

Personally, I think it's due to your graphics card. It just can't pass that particular intensive test, probably due to not enough video memory.

Look up the model of your graghics card and visit the manufacturer's site for updated Vista drivers.

May help, my not.

If that's the only problem you're experiencing, I wouldn't worry about it

I had the same problem, stopped on media decoder and would not enable aero/superbar. I knew it wasn't my computer cos it was a brand new Acer with q6700 and 9500gt 4gig ram. What i discoverd was people who were trying dual monitors were having same issue and although I never had dual monitors I had both connections hooked up to my monitor/card. Unhooked one and it was problem solved, yippee. Check your cables etc etc because windows 7 is supposed to run of your processors power and not the graphics power. If you processors is able well then it should run. Good luck!

I have noticed in build 7022 that the Windows Experience Index works slightly better.. ;) My main PC's lowest score on build 7000 was 5.9 (primary hard drive), it's now a 6.2 (primary hard disk).. :)

What integrated graphics chipset do you have? (to find out, go to start>type devmgmt.msc in the search box, expand the "display adapters" field and look at the name of the device). IF it says "standard VGA graphics adapter" it means that your graphics card is probably too old and doesn't have drivers for Windows 7

Ok, So it is supported. Now we need to know some additional information, click start>type dxdiag then go to the "Display tab" and in the "Device" section, look to see how much approximate memory it has. Also, Under the "DirectX Features and the notes" section, see if there is any problems

Alright, so considering that chipset is about 3 years old, You may want to check for updates for it. Or an earlier poster may be right, the hardware simply may not be able to pass that intensive of a test.

Ok so new development, you and an earlier poster tipped me off to something.

Paulie: "What i discoverd was people who were trying dual monitors were having same issue and although I never had dual monitors I had both connections hooked up to my monitor/card. Unhooked one and it was problem solved, yippee."

So when I was in device manager, I noticed that there were two displays active, so I disabled one and now the Windows Experience Index runs, but I get an error.

"Cannot complete assesment. The assessment did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported by the operating system, driver, or other component."

Any thoughts here. I'm thinking its probably just telling me my hardware sucks, which I'm aware of.

But if you know of any other possibilities I'm free to listen! Thanks

Glad I could be of some kind of assistance. Cant really comment on your next problem because I haven't come across it. I really dont think its a hardware problem because like I say windows 7 is optimized to run off processor power. Question "why did it show as having dual monitors in device manager, do you have dual monitors?" It does not sound like you have dual monitors if you say your hardware "sucks". If you dont then its likely to be a bad install. I would suggest another fresh install and make sure all is well in device manager before running the index. Keep us posted and good luck.

I dont run dual monitors, But I am able to if I wish. There were two displays enabled in device manager, I just disabled one, but yeah, whatever it was now the index runs...just with that error.

Back