Windows 7 Windows freezes on startup after replacing CMOS battery

Hey guys,

Yesterday when I switched on my PC, my time was reset to 2011. So I thought that my CMOS battery had run out and i replaced it. But when I tried to boot it up,it said that windows was unable to boot up and i had to either launch startup repair or start windows normally. If I choose launch startup repair it says loading files and then freezes there. if i say start windows normally it says starting windows and shows me the windows logo but stops there and does not boot up. If I try to boot up in safe mode it says loading files and stops there.

How can I fix this? the only thing I haven't tried is system restore. Any help would be appreciated and please excuse my grammar.

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

Well, that time/date reset tells me your computer is about 5 years old or so. It's likely that you could have a coincidental hardware failure such as a failed hard drive or RAM stick. In either case you'll need to do some Hardware Testing. Before you do that, and BEFORE you attempt to do the System Restore, it's imperative that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!

System Restore doesn't always work and can cause Windows boot failures along with data loss as mentioned above, so it's best to backup before trying that. Once you've backed up, you can try the System Restore knowing that if it scrambles your windows and your computer you at least have your data backed up. If you've already done this recently, say in the last week or the last month, you can probably also safely proceed. Keep in mind if the System Restore fails you could lose everything since your last complete backup! :waah: So, if you haven't done a backup in quite a while; say more than 1 year, you should stop and get it backed up. If this is the case, post back and we'll give you some suggestions for backing up your personal data (library folders) from a computer that won't boot Windows.

Next, you need to attend to the Hardware Testing and Software Repairs as per my Troubleshooting Guide here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Bear in mind that Hard Drives are now only designed to last 3 years in Desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops! :eek: If you haven't replaced the bootdrive (C: drive) in the computer you are having the boot problem with since you've owned it, is HIGHLY LIKELY IT IS FAILING OR HAS FAILED COMPLETELY! :headache: If the Hardware Testing returns any errors from that drive, it is faulty and must be replaced! :waah: You should also take the extra step of testing all of your RAM sticks too. Either of these prevent your computer from booting, and in order to find out if your Motherboard is faulty or not; you have to test both your Hard Drive and all RAM sticks. Once these have been tested and or faulty components replaced and retest shows no errors on both Drive and RAM, you are free to pursue Software solutions and repairs also listed in my Troubleshooting Guide. Since you can't boot your computer, it's best to use another working computer in your home or borrow one from a friend or neighbor or go to your local library and print out a hardcopy of the Guide, as it's quite long *6-8 pages* and you can then have the hardcopy instructions in front of you while you are troubleshooting and testing your computer.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us the Make/Model of your computer, and whether or not it's a desktop PC or a Laptop? Or a self-built PC. If self-built PC; we need full hardware specs.

Just so you know, this process can take 2-3 days to 1 week so you need to be patient. If you have never done hardware testing before on your own computer, and you read through my Guide but can't wrap your head around the detailed instructions, or just don't have that kind of time to effect a solution, you may rather consider paying a licensed Computer Tech at your local repair shop to do it for you. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, or you have some computer experience this should result in a fix about 90% of the time. However, if you have a Motherboard that is faulty, you can still replace it and get it repaired but depending on the type of computer or laptop you have this can be VERY VERY expensive to do; from $175-$1500 US. If you complete your hardware testing and find no errors and you attempt all software repairs up to and including Windows reinstallation and it still doesn't work, you are most likely looking at a Motherboard failure.:waah: But, you have to put in all the time and effort to get to that point. That's why most people give up before they get there and just replace the entire computer or take it to a Computer Pro.;)

Let us know how it goes. Don't be afraid to ask further questions. We are here 24x7x365.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

This sound more like the memory is incorrectly set in the bios. Could you get cpu-z and post screengrabs of lal the tabs please.

BIGBEARDJEDI, thanks for the advice. I thought that I would boot it up one more time before testing the hardware and it actually booted up!. but then I got a message saying: "checking file systems on c:" and it did some checking. the computer worked perfectly for about two more minutes and then it said windows explorer is not responding and it shut down on its own. then I got a screen which said:
AMIBIOS(C) 2006 AMERICAN MEGATRENDS,INC
G41M-US3 BIOS P1.50
CPU: INTEL (R) PENTUIM (R) D CPU 3.00GHZ
SPEED: 3.00 GHZ

Press fF2 or Del to run setup
Press F6 for instant flash
Press F11 for boot menu
Single-channel memory mode
3838 MB ok
Auto detecting SATAII_1....IDE HARD DISK

Primary master hard disk error
Press F1 to resume

Oh and my computer is a desktop PC. and i think its probably custom,because my friend said he made it himself. Unfortunately his number and email are my PC so i cant call him and ask him. And I am pretty patient so i have no problem if it takes a lot of time because i have taken leave from work for a week and this laptop is slow so i am free to try and fix my PC

Back
Top Bottom