Windows 7 Windows gets slow while copying data from one drive to another ..

istrider

Hi all!
I am having problems while copying data from one drive to another, to and from external usb drive (or even 2 gb flash drive) and even over the network (wifi or lan both) .. the windows gets very very slow .. 100% cpu usage .. the process svchost uses it all .. if i try to open windows explorer .. it takes atleast a minute to open .. unable to watch any video file as the video gets frozen only the audio comes .. what should i do??

Hi,
is this a recent problem?
Also please list system spec'..

well its been less than a month since i got my vista upgraded to win7 ..
i am using HP HDX 18 series notebook
specs are::
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Build 7600
Core2Quad Q9000 2.0GHZ
4 GB ram
Dx11

*bump*
i am still having this problem ..
sometimes it works ok .. but sometimes windows gets so slow that i cant even watch a movie .. and streaming from net also starts skipping frames

*bump*
i am still having this problem ..
sometimes it works ok .. but sometimes windows gets so slow that i cant even watch a movie .. and streaming from net also starts skipping frames

Probably indexing.... check my tagline for speed tips.

@Mitchell: i correct myself .. i had done a clean install .. formatted the C drive .. installed windows .. installed all the required drivers from the hp upgrade cd that came with the windows7 dvd .. and also updated them from the hp site itself ..
i have just noticed that the problem mainly occurs when someone is copying files from my sharing (this problem never occured in vista) .. cpu usage immediately shoots up to 99-100% ..

Sorry been having router problems.. Are you using a router? Via USB or ethernet?

previois: well i have ADSL2+ dsl model with wifi .. have been using it for over a year .. never had the problem on vista .. besides .. its a powerful machine it shouldnt have this problem .. i my hostel i had my P4 2.4GHZ sharing over 1 Tera data all the time .. never once ths problem!!

Last edited:
after some snooping around and trying to fix the problem .. i found the problem related to registry problems and hdd fragmentations .. both my laptop hdds are 95% full .. after defragging them .. and cleaning/repairing the registry the performance is much much better now .. and the cpu usage stays normal .. usually below 50% even while heavy usage like gaming etc
but .. if i unplug the power .. while its running on battery .. even if i am not doing "anythign" .. the cpu usage shoots up to 100% within 15 seconds of unplugging the power .. and takes around 10 minutes to settle down .. even then it sometimes shoots up if i run a program .. what could be causing this problem??

hmm .. i did see the advanced settings for power that can be done but i didnt change any .. will give any updates after checking them out by tomorrow .. thanks :)

Back