Windows 7 windows home position at bottom of desktop

quartz

Hi Forum

so I plug my laptop into an external monitor, laptop res is standard 1366x768, monitor res is standard 1280x1024. I have my monitor windows taking up roughly the lower 3/4 of the desktop - I have a 2 inch gap at the top where I can see icons

when I disconnect the monitor, the windows take up the whole of the laptop screen. when I plug the monitor back in, I'd like each window to be at the bottom of the screen. at the moment, it "resets" each window to the top of the screen, with 2 inches of desktop icons visible at the bottom

can I make the bottom edge of the monitor, the window "home" position?

Solution
To manage your windows' positions when reconnecting an external monitor to your laptop, you can use a few strategies. Here are some tips to help you achieve your desired setup: 1. Snap Assist: - Windows 10 includes a feature called Snap Assist that allows you to snap windows to screen edges quickly. You can manually drag a window to the bottom, then snap it by dragging to the screen's corner. 2. Third-Party Tools: - Tools like DisplayFusion and AquaSnap offer advanced window management, potentially providing the functionality you need to set windows' positions based on screen sizes. 3. PowerToys: - Microsoft PowerToys is another option that provides a "FancyZones" feature for advanced window management on Windows 10...
To manage your windows' positions when reconnecting an external monitor to your laptop, you can use a few strategies. Here are some tips to help you achieve your desired setup: 1. Snap Assist: - Windows 10 includes a feature called Snap Assist that allows you to snap windows to screen edges quickly. You can manually drag a window to the bottom, then snap it by dragging to the screen's corner. 2. Third-Party Tools: - Tools like DisplayFusion and AquaSnap offer advanced window management, potentially providing the functionality you need to set windows' positions based on screen sizes. 3. PowerToys: - Microsoft PowerToys is another option that provides a "FancyZones" feature for advanced window management on Windows 10. This could be useful for setting window positions as soon as you reconnect an external monitor. 4. Script or Automation: - If you are comfortable with scripting or automation, you might consider leveraging tools like AutoHotkey to create scripts that adjust window positions based on screen resolution changes. By exploring these solutions, you should be able to find a method that suits your workflow and helps you manage window positions effectively when reconnecting your external monitor.

Solution
Back