Windows 7 New HP Pavilion p6230y desktop stretched

Raider Power

Hello all. I bought and HP Pavilion p6230y desktop PC a few days ago, loaded with Windows 7. I have a widescreen monitor with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080. When I started the machine and went through the setup process, the max resolution was selected and all appeared normal until I took a look at the desktop. The toolbar at the bottom exceeds the width of the screen on the right and left side, so the Start button and first icons on the toolbar cannot be seen on the left and, on the right, the button next to the clock can't be seen. The desktop image is stretched as well.

I have found that on a session by session basis, I can view the desktop as I intend if I do the following:

1. Open display properties.
  2. Set my resolution to 1440 x 900.
  3. Select the link to adjust ClearType fonts.
  4. When going through this process Win 7 states that I am not using the native resolution of 1920 x 1080. I allow Win 7 to change the resolution and apply the change.
  5. I finish the ClearType selection process.
What I have found is that once the above is done, the desktop looks as I intend, with all icons visible, toolbar not exceeding the width of the page, etc.

I have seen some references here and on other pages to the Wallpaper Picture Position Enabler, Driver. The problems seem similar to mine but I have not seen anyone mention that their desktop icons can't be seen and that the toolbar is too wide. Does anyone here know if this fix will take care of my issue? If not, where might I look to try to rectify this problem?

I have used my monitor controls to try to auto adjust the display, but the problem is not fixed, but since I can get Win 7 to display the desktop properly following the steps above, I don't think the problem is with my monitor, which is new also.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

That is going to be among my next steps to fix this issue. Just opened it up yesterday. We'll see how good the support is.

Hello all. I bought and HP Pavilion p6230y desktop PC a few days ago, loaded with Windows 7. I have a widescreen monitor with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080. When I started the machine and went through the setup process, the max resolution was selected and all appeared normal until I took a look at the desktop. The toolbar at the bottom exceeds the width of the screen on the right and left side, so the Start button and first icons on the toolbar cannot be seen on the left and, on the right, the button next to the clock can't be seen. The desktop image is stretched as well.

I have found that on a session by session basis, I can view the desktop as I intend if I do the following:

1. Open display properties.
  2. Set my resolution to 1440 x 900.
  3. Select the link to adjust ClearType fonts.
  4. When going through this process Win 7 states that I am not using the native resolution of 1920 x 1080. I allow Win 7 to change the resolution and apply the change.
  5. I finish the ClearType selection process.
What I have found is that once the above is done, the desktop looks as I intend, with all icons visible, toolbar not exceeding the width of the page, etc.

I have seen some references here and on other pages to the Wallpaper Picture Position Enabler, Driver. The problems seem similar to mine but I have not seen anyone mention that their desktop icons can't be seen and that the toolbar is too wide. Does anyone here know if this fix will take care of my issue? If not, where might I look to try to rectify this problem?

I have used my monitor controls to try to auto adjust the display, but the problem is not fixed, but since I can get Win 7 to display the desktop properly following the steps above, I don't think the problem is with my monitor, which is new also.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

why using 1440x900 if that is not the native resolution of your screen?

you HAVE to use 1920x1080 if you want a decent image quality.. did you tried that?

That is the problem. I had the monitor set to 1920 x 1080, but set at that resolution, the desktop stretches beyond the width of the screen, making it impossible to see the left most buttons the toolbar and icons located on the left side of the desktop. The steps I outlined allow me on a per session basis to use native resolution. Unfortunately, when the PC restarts, the problem of the too wide desktop reappears.

Back
Top Bottom