Windows 8 Windows Install Questions

Extragoodness

Hello I had a couple of questions regarding installing Windows either 8 or 7, any answers would be appreciated thanks.

My first question is, if I install Windows using the Windows CD will it automatically install the drivers for my laptop or will I have to do this manually?

My second question is, if I install Windows on a HDD that already has an OS on it will it override/or clear the files or things I have on the HDD?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
My first question is, if I install Windows using the Windows CD will it automatically install the drivers for my laptop or will I have to do this manually?
Windows does carry many drivers itself and usually it's enough to get you started. Sometimes though you will get the odd component especially on laptops which need certain drivers and chances are Windows won't have a copy. Windows Update will sometimes get your drivers but only if Windows has a network driver which is compatible. This is why you should always try and get a copy of the drivers you'll need in advance and store them on either disk or USB. Laptop drivers are almost always supplied by the manufacturer and to find yours you'll need to Google the support page for your make and model.
I install Windows on a HDD that already has an OS on it will it override/or clear the files or things I have on the HDD?
It depends on what type of install you choose. If you choose to upgrade the previous os then you can choose to save certain files and folders. To initiate this install you simply need to place the disk or USB in the computer and follow the prompts.
If you want to start totally afresh and wipe the drive clean then a 'Clean Install' is the preferred method. To initiate this method one must first enter the Bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot straight from the disk/USB that you have the os on.

This guide for windows 10 will give you a general idea on the difference:
What's better: Clean install or upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows does carry many drivers itself and usually it's enough to get you started. Sometimes though you will get the odd component especially on laptops which need certain drivers and chances are Windows won't have a copy. Windows Update will sometimes get your drivers but only if Windows has a network driver which is compatible. This is why you should always try and get a copy of the drivers you'll need in advance and store them on either disk or USB. Laptop drivers are almost always supplied by the manufacturer and to find yours you'll need to Google the support page for your make and model.

Okay thanks a lot for the feedback. See I did a clean install of Windows for a friend using a torrent of Windows, when installing the drivers for her laptop not all of them wanted to install. I want to be sure it's worth it for her to buy a copy of Windows and not go through that again

Back
Top Bottom