Ron Leinweber

Honorable Member
I am attempting to install TurboTax2021 on my Dell XPS8900 SSD drive. I first tried to install from the CD and then from the downloaded software which TurboTax suggested I download, and both times I get a message saying "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2908". I have the lastest version of Windows and have run the system file checker and made sure I have the latest version of NetFramework. According to TurboTax support this is a Windows error. Any advice would be appreciated. I also get the 2nd error shown below after closing the error 2908.

Attachments

• tt error 2.webp
    tt error 2.webp
    13 KB · Views: 96
  • tt error1.webp
    tt error1.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 96
Solution
Error 2908 in Windows Installer is related to certain registry entries associated with Office now being missing or damaged after an Office update. To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
1. Repair Microsoft Office:
- If you have Microsoft Office installed, try repairing it through the Control Panel.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- Right-click on Microsoft Office and select Repair.
2. Microsoft Office Update:
- Make sure that Microsoft Office is up to date by running the latest updates that may contain a fix for this issue.
3. Registry Keys Clean-Up (Advanced):
- Warning: Modifying the registry can cause serious issues if not done correctly. Backup the registry or...
Error 2908 in Windows Installer is related to certain registry entries associated with Office now being missing or damaged after an Office update. To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
1. Repair Microsoft Office:
- If you have Microsoft Office installed, try repairing it through the Control Panel.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- Right-click on Microsoft Office and select Repair.
2. Microsoft Office Update:
- Make sure that Microsoft Office is up to date by running the latest updates that may contain a fix for this issue.
3. Registry Keys Clean-Up (Advanced):
- Warning: Modifying the registry can cause serious issues if not done correctly. Backup the registry or create a System Restore point before proceeding.
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
- Look for any UpperFilters or LowerFilters values in the right pane.
- If you find any values that mention Office components (like Office), delete them.
- Restart your computer after making changes.
4. Check Windows Installer Service:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate the Windows Installer service.
- Ensure that it is running and set to start automatically.
5. Clean Boot:
- Perform a Clean Boot to start only with essential services, to rule out conflicts affecting the installation process.
Try installing TurboTax after applying these steps. If the issue persists, contact Intuit (TurboTax) support for further specialized assistance.

Solution
Back