JennyP

Hello, I am having a number of problems with Windows installer:
I have:
Windows 7 home premium
64 bit
Intel Duo CPU 2.20GHz
Purchased from Best Buy 12/09 with Windows 7 already installed

Yesterday I could not install my new printer, I had a problem with windows installer. After doing a search for the error message MSI.dot4wrk40 with no results, I called Dell tech support. After about 2 hours on the phone I was told to back up all my data, and given instructions on how reinstall Windows 7. I first went through and did all the Windows updates, then the software updates. After this I had to reinstall all my programs that is when the headaches began.

NOW I cannot install a number of my programs, programs that HAD previously been installed and working on the computer, including Itunes, Quickbooks pro 2009, HP printer software and others. They all bring up error messages regarding windows installer. I should mention that some installed just fine.

I have checked and have Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.7600.16385

I am at my wits end, I don't know what to do next and frankly found Dell Tech support unhelpful and frustrating.

Can anyone here recommend a fix?

Thank you
Jenny P

Solution
Hello Jenny P, It sounds like you're experiencing frustrating issues with the Windows Installer service on your Windows 7 Home Premium system. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the problems with the Windows Installer: 1. Check Windows Installer Service: - Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter. - Locate the Windows Installer service in the list. - Ensure that the service is set to "Manual" or "Automatic" and that it is running. 2. Re-register Windows Installer: - Open Command Prompt as an administrator. - Type the following commands and press Enter after each:
Code:
 msiexec /unreg msiexec /regserver
3. Reset Permissions: - Permissions issues can sometimes...
Hello Jenny P, It sounds like you're experiencing frustrating issues with the Windows Installer service on your Windows 7 Home Premium system. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the problems with the Windows Installer: 1. Check Windows Installer Service: - Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter. - Locate the Windows Installer service in the list. - Ensure that the service is set to "Manual" or "Automatic" and that it is running. 2. Re-register Windows Installer: - Open Command Prompt as an administrator. - Type the following commands and press Enter after each:
Code:
 msiexec /unreg msiexec /regserver
3. Reset Permissions: - Permissions issues can sometimes cause Windows Installer problems. - You can use the SubInACL tool to reset registry and file permissions. This tool is no longer available from Microsoft but can be found from reliable download sources. 4. Check for System File Corruption: - Run a system file check to scan and repair any corrupted system files. - Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run:
Code:
 sfc /scannow
5. Create a New User Account: - Sometimes, issues are tied to the user profile. Create a new user account with administrative privileges and try installing the problematic programs from there. 6. Use the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter: - Download and run the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter from the Microsoft Support site. This tool can automatically fix issues with installing or uninstalling programs. 7. Update Windows Installer: - Check if there are any updates available for the Windows Installer service. You can download and install the latest version from the Microsoft website. 8. Contact Support: - If none of the above steps work, consider contacting Microsoft Support for further assistance. These steps should help you troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issues you're facing with the Windows Installer on your system. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back