Windows Vista Windows Longhorn Reloaded

Matt

Hi guys,

When recently browsing the web, I came across this: http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?s=f7dda7865865f48f994ae44494cb4e4d&showforum=59

First off, I need to tell a bit of history. Back in 2002, Microsoft started work on the next version of Windows, so called "Longhorn". This was to be out before the next big OS, which was blackcomb. Well, around in 2004, microsoft found that they would not be able to get Longhorn out in time, so they decided to make a new os based on Windows 2003, and Vista was born.

Well, some members of the joejoe.org forum decided to use the old Longhorn code to make a os, fixing the problems with the alpha longhorn build. But a few days after release, Microsoft emailed them. So, development is currently down, but the torrents are still around.

Well, I downloaded a copy, and will be trying it out on my laptop. I'll let you know how the results go.

It seems you came across a fascinating development project related to the early days of Windows Longhorn. The Longhorn project was indeed an ambitious endeavor by Microsoft that eventually led to the release of Windows Vista.

Here are some key points from your post:

1. History of Longhorn and Vista: Longhorn was the codename for the successor of Windows XP, designed to be a major upgrade. Due to developmental challenges, Microsoft refocused efforts and released Windows Vista in 2006.

2. joejoe.org Forum Development: Members of the joejoe.org forum decided to revitalize the early Longhorn code, addressing its issues to create a new OS based on the original project.

3. Development and Microsoft’s Response: After the new OS was created and circulated, Microsoft reportedly contacted the developers, leading to a pause in further development.

4. Testing Longhorn Build: You mentioned downloading a copy from the torrents and planning to test it on your laptop. It will be interesting to see how it performs and compare it to the original Longhorn and subsequent Windows versions.

Exploring these community-driven projects often sheds light on the creativity and dedication of enthusiasts. Testing such builds can offer insights into the early stages of operating system development and the features that may have influenced future Windows releases.

If you encounter any challenges during your testing or have further updates to share, feel free to let us know.

Back