Windows 7 Windows Restore not working!

Cardinal System

Honorable Member
Every time I leave my PC for an extended amount of time, it will go to sleep as normal, and after an extended time go into hibernation. But if I leave a desktop locked or logged on when leave, the computer won't wake up properly! This does not happen very often, but when it does, this is what happens:I will move the mouse or press a key, and the computer will its usual wake up sounds, but leave me with a blackish-blue screen. The only way I can get it to work again is to unplug it, boot it up, unplug it again, then boot it up and use the keyboard select a little button that arrears saying "Delete restoration files and start windows normally". I only get this button the second time I boot up the computer; the first time I boot it up, it will show the windows logo and say “Continuing Windows”.

I don't want to further damage the computer by hard-powering it, but I don't know any other way!

How can I fix this?

edit: by request... Ussnorway

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at the manufacturer site and see if there is a BIOS update that addresses the issue.

I would look at the manufacturer site and see if there is a BIOS update that addresses the issue.
I found a way to tell my computer to hibernate, and I now know that hibernating for too long cases this. I still don't know how to fix the issue, or how to check for a misses update.

Hibernate and sleep issues are usually related to a BIOS bug or driver issue. Also some systems won't wake from the keyboard or mouse. On these you tap the power button to wake it up.

I would also verify in Device manager that the keyboard and/or mouse is set to "Allow this device to wake the system"

This computer appears to be 7 years old with a 2009 release date. There are several things that can cause this. If you make the changes that neemo suggests it may fix the problem if it's minor. However, if you are using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse or combo unit (1 transmitter/receiver dongle for both), you should temporarily replace with a hardwired usb keyboard and usb mouse and retest for the not coming out of sleep problem. If the problem abates, you most likely have a faulty wireless keyboard/mouse or both and they need to be replaced. :waah:

We see this problem a lot on older computers, as people never get rid of their keyboards or mice until the buttons break on them or their dog chews them up or something.:bigtongue: These components don't last forever especially if you have kids or pets in your home that can abuse them. Another simple thing to try if you do have a wireless keyboard or mouse is to remove all the batteries from both units, and replace them with brand new Duracell batteries fresh from the package. If the problem abates, you had faulty batteries. :iee: For some reason, my customers many of whom are on fixed income hate spending money on new batteries, even if they are years old. Just like a car battery, those don't last forever either, and if you try to start your car one morning and it doesn't turnover, and you haven't replaced your battery in like 7 years or so (the age of your computer), there's a pretty good chance your battery is shot--if you don't replace it your car won't start.:waah: Neither will your PC work correctly if you are using wireless devices with poor or dead batteries! :ohno:

Try these simple fixes we suggest; in the majority of cases, this will take care of your problem. :bighug: If the problem persists, you'll need to take your computer to your local Computer Pro and pay him to fix it for you. If you can't afford to do that or just want to DIY, take a look at my detailed troubleshooting guide here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

This computer appears to be 7 years old with a 2009 release date. There are several things that can cause this. If you make the changes that neemo suggests it may fix the problem if it's minor. However, if you are using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse or combo unit (1 transmitter/receiver dongle for both), you should temporarily replace with a hardwired usb keyboard and usb mouse and retest for the not coming out of sleep problem. If the problem abates, you most likely have a faulty wireless keyboard/mouse or both and they need to be replaced. :waah:

We see this problem a lot on older computers, as people never get rid of their keyboards or mice until the buttons break on them or their dog chews them up or something.:bigtongue: These components don't last forever especially if you have kids or pets in your home that can abuse them. Another simple thing to try if you do have a wireless keyboard or mouse is to remove all the batteries from both units, and replace them with brand new Duracell batteries fresh from the package. If the problem abates, you had faulty batteries. :iee: For some reason, my customers many of whom are on fixed income hate spending money on new batteries, even if they are years old. Just like a car battery, those don't last forever either, and if you try to start your car one morning and it doesn't turnover, and you haven't replaced your battery in like 7 years or so (the age of your computer), there's a pretty good chance your battery is shot--if you don't replace it your car won't start.:waah: Neither will your PC work correctly if you are using wireless devices with poor or dead batteries! :ohno:

Try these simple fixes we suggest; in the majority of cases, this will take care of your problem. :bighug: If the problem persists, you'll need to take your computer to your local Computer Pro and pay him to fix it for you. If you can't afford to do that or just want to DIY, take a look at my detailed troubleshooting guide here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar.

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I am using a regular wired keyboard, but thanks anyway! :D

Ok, then the problem is more serious, and most likely you'll need to test your hardware (RAM sticks and Hard Drive) as in the DIY link I gave you in Post #9 above as repeated here once more for you: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

This troubleshooting guide will help you to fix your keyboard/mouse problem in most cases.:up:

Please note that the entire article is 6-8 pages long, so I suggest you print it out on a different working computer so you can have it in front of you while troubleshooting your broken computer. Be patient, as this can take 2-3 days to a week to run through all the tests.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

Back
Top Bottom