Windows 7 Windows Security Center Service

funnnyfarm

Hi everybody hope your having a great holidays. I run Windows 7 home and have Spyware Doctor and Malwarebytes running. I never have't had a virus until last week. I was on google hunting for drivers for a laptop I wiped and restored to XP. When Internet Security 2011 started scanning , I tried to stop it - to late. So with a little help from Beeping Computer forum. It's gone. And today inst.exe just started loading - I tried canceling but every time I do that it starts again. Now after that the Action Center flag got a red X. Open the Action Center Windows Security Center Service is turned off. I tried to start it there but no good so - I open Services , right click on Security Center - properties - General tab - Startup type (And tried all the options in the drop down list) Apply and Start. But the Windows Security Center Service keeps going off. I'm going to try to find a way to delete inst.exe out of my computer. Any other Ideas? Thanks funnnyfarm

As you have no doubt discovered, these types of infections can be insidious as well as persistent. They can hide practically anywhere and re-initialize themselves with no user input. The first thing you should do is make sure that all your critical data is safe by performing a backup or copying all such data to a second or external drive or DVDs.
Then consider adding Ccleaner as well as SpyBot to your arsenal of tools. Install Ccleaner and Spybot. Update signatures for Mbam and Spybot. Consider temporarily turning off "System Restore" as this is often a favorite hiding location for these types of infections, but be aware that this will also delete all previous restore points.
Then boot into safemode run Spybot, MalwareBytes (Full Scan), as well a Ccleaner to clean temp files, folders and registry remnants. Boot back into normal mode and if the problem seems to have been resolved make sure to turn back on system restore and manually create a new restore point.
You probably also should consider that often the only way to be absolutely certain that all residue of any such infection is completely gone from you hard drive is to perform a complete drive erase and format using something like KillDisk and then a clean custom re-install of the Operating System replacing your critical data from backups (after scanning to make sure that your backups do not contain an infected file).
You said you received help from Bleeping Computer, their guys are some of the best in the world at resolving such issues and the tools and techniques their techs suggest using will usually provide the best results. Are you sure you followed up and followed through with all their suggestions and recommendation to the end? The reason I ask is because if you were unable to resolve the problem with their help and efforts then a wipe and format may very well be the best option and may ultimately save you a great deal of interim grief.

I class you guys with Beeping Computers. I use CCleaner all the time. I'll do as you said. I have 2 -1 Tera byte discs and use one to save and the other just to run the OP. Just for these times. I'll let you know how it turns out thanks funnnyfarm

Trouble , thanks that fixed the problem. What is the differences between running the spyware and antivirus in safe mode than in a regular environment? thanks funnnyfarm

Sometimes a minimal boot option will prevent the malware from being called so it's not in your face while you're trying to clean it. But mostly I like to do this type of work in safemode because it allows the antivirus or antimalware product to have more system resources available and they appear to work a little faster without having to compete for memory and I/O's with other processes, services and apps running in the background. It's just a less is more type of thing, at least that's what I tell myself.

Back