Windows Server 2022 problem changing registry's authorizations

acut23

I have this problem with Windows Server 2002 on a specific server (reinstalled more times) with RDP role
I need to give to some users an authorization to write in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT because while compiling some apps they need to register some Ole public controls. If i enter in registry with regedit and give this authorizazion, at next logon of these users the start menu is not enabled, the same the search area and if i go on Files Explorer, on This PC i can't open Computer Properties option... I can work on other application i have installed calling them from links on desktop... This problem cant' be cancelled restoring authorizations..... I need to restore a snapshot to go back.... Suggestions ? Thanks

It seems like you're having difficulties changing the registry authorizations in Windows Server 2022. It's important to note that modifying permissions in the registry can have unintended consequences if not done carefully.

Here are a few suggestions to troubleshoot and address the issue:

1. Use Group Policy: Instead of manually modifying registry permissions, you can utilize Group Policy to apply the necessary permissions to the registry keys. This provides a centralized and more controlled way to manage permissions.

2. Check for conflicting permissions: Ensure that there are no conflicting permissions set on the registry keys. Permissions can be inherited from parent keys, so it's important to review the entire hierarchy.

3. Perform a clean boot: Perform a clean boot on the server to identify if any third-party services or applications are causing conflicts with the registry permissions. This helps isolate the issue and allows you to troubleshoot from there.

4. Review event logs: Check the event logs for any errors or warnings related to registry permissions or any other system components. This can provide insights into the root cause of the issue.

5. Test with a different user account: Create a new user account and test if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to certain user accounts or if it's a system-wide problem.

6. Contact Microsoft Support: If the issue persists and you're unable to find a resolution, it's recommended to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your environment.

Remember to take proper precautions when modifying the registry, such as creating a backup or a system restore point before making any changes. This ensures that you can revert to a previous state if any issues arise during the process.

Back
Top Bottom