Windows 10 Windows Update Automatic Restart

Soundell

I left GTA V to download overnight last night, but my computer restarted during the download, preventing the game from finishing the download. I'm now looking for a way to turn this off. I still want the updates to download automatically, but I don't want them to install and restart my computer automatically. Is there any way to do this, or any way to do something similar instead?

Hi

Check out this earlier post, I've seen several places that recommend this registry hack to solve the problem.
If you feel comfortable working with the registry then this should do it for you.

If I understand it, this will delay the reboot until you shut down Windows on your own.

It's recommended that you do that at least once a day to that the updates will get installed.

Windows 10 - Prevent Windows 10 from applying updates automatically

Scroll down to Neemo's response.

Mike

I am pissed at Microsoft. My computer with Windows 10 Pro was running fine with little telemetry going to Microsoft. Today did an forced windows anniversary update and now it has windows defender on my taskbar. I use kaspersky internet security. I have been avoiding the anniversary update for some time.

Sent from my MLA-TL10 using Tapatalk

You may have an issue with Kaspersky. You may want to re-install or repair. Windows defender should only activate when there are no AV products registered to WSC (security center)

Neemobeer: Windows 10 Defender shows up as icon on taskbar and it is not running due to group policy set by Kaspersky. I went into startup list and disabled Defender. The recent windows update put it there on taskbar.

Kaspersky doesn't set group policy. When an AV suite is installed it should register with the Windows Security Center this will trigger defender to a disabled state. It shouldn't run in the system tray with 3rd party AV running.

Correct, Neem. I concur.

@trstick1: If your W10 Pro got updated to v1607 without you pushing the button but automatically occurred, there is only 1 fix for that, and that's W10 AU CLEAN INSTALL. You can fool around with it or use Registry Hacks to fix it, but 99% of the time your computer will not run right.:down: It's your computer, so do what you want. We discovered this flaw 1 day after the AU was released, and many of us W10 Insider Testers here and on several other Tech Forums reported it to Microsoft on the Insider Hub, which is a private forum for W10 testers only. It's never been fixed to my knowledge.:furious: I have several Customers this happened to, and they too are pissed at MS as they had to pay me to completely reinstall W10 with the v1607 version which is the only way it works properly. The good news is that MS did incorporate the ability to completely disable or reschedule Patch-Tuesday weekly updates! :) The bad news is with my testing on about 5 computers I have with W10 Pro on them, it still doesn't stop them from being applied.:shocked: Generally speaking, if your W10 Pro is not at the most current version of v1607 b14393.693, you may continue to have issues.:( Folks with the latest W10 Pro version are having more luck with the disabling of weekly updates, but also don't forget you have to disable WUDO in W10 for this to work; that's not mentioned in many of the Posts I've see telling people how to disable their weekly W10 updates or reschedule them. Here's a link on how to disable your WUDO:
Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

Best of luck,:clover:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

I checked my OS system. It is version 1607 OS build 14393.693 Before Microsoft did a forced update, my OS system has been stable.

Also besides I already knew about WUDO. Under the Choose how updates are delivered, the first switch has been off for parts of OS updates to local network or pc on the internet. The two buttons for pcs on local network and network and PC on the internet has been disabled. I have disabled how updates are delivered and somehow Microsoft went thru my computer and forced the AU updates on my computer.

Back
Top Bottom