Windows Update Build

jgaucho81

I work for a SCADA energy solutions company and have a question about windows updates. I previously asked about whether or not one can download windows update offline, which I was reffered to Microsoft's website -Microsoft Update Catalog.
The question I have is how do we know what build number to download based on the server or workstation's operating system? For example, let's say I wanted to know what the current build for Server 2019 standard is and when the latest build was released? Also, when it comes to builds, let's say we are 3 rebuild versions behind; do we need the upgrade path to be by each build, or can we just update to the latest build? Aside from making an excel spreadsheet for a track of those builds, does Micrsoft provide on on their website when you can export the history of builds into a CSV file?

Builds do not change less you do an upgrade. Server builds are static between Server versions so Server 2016 will always have the same build as an example.

Powershell
Code:
$Version = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name "DisplayVersion").DisplayVersion
$Product = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name "ProductName").ProductName
"This computer needs updates for {0}, version: {1}" -f ($Product,$Version)

Builds do not change less you do an upgrade. Server builds are static between Server versions so Server 2016 will always have the same build as an example.

Powershell
Code:
$Version = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name "DisplayVersion").DisplayVersion
$Product = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" -Name "ProductName").ProductName
"This computer needs updates for {0}, version: {1}" -f ($Product,$Version)
Hey Neemobeer, thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand you correctly, are you saying that let's say in an example, we have Server 2016 standard that the build always stays the same regardless of how many updates it gets towards its' lifetime?

Yes, on the catalog they will always say "Windows Server 2016" under the product
1629901157149.png

Hey Neemobeer, I just have one more question. I have attached two screenshots of two different test servers I have here that are the same server os but on different builds. My question is if I were to manually download the patches from Microsoft updates for windows server 2019, would they both work on each of these builds being that they are different versions?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom