Windows 7 Windows Update doesn't install updates

Was this an upgrade or a "clean" install?

If it was an upgrade.............

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There is i poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile,.

Last edited:
Okay, this is probably a really dumb question, but I'm not sure if it was an upgrade or a clean install.

I saved all of my files to a flash drive and booted from the Windows 7 boot disk, installing Windows 7 on my computer in the same process that I would have used if I was installing Windows on a Linux system, etc. Is that a clean install? I did format one of my drives, but only one of them.

The reason I ask is because I've noticed an upgrade function in Windows 7. But I didn't use that - I did a complete new installation.

OK, you did it correctly.

Trying going o Start> Run an type eventvwr, Expand the Windows logs and look for entries with red flags. Post back with the Event ID

Also go to Start > Run, and type cmd. Now type sfc /scannow.

Go to Msconfig and uncheck ail entries except for your anti-virus software,

Try a search for KB976749 and you'll be directed to a page to download the update, See if this fails and if there is any error messages.

eventvwr shows me the following events with red flags:
20 (quite a few)
7023 (about 50 pages of them)

When I did sfc /scannow (as administrator) it gave me the following message:
"Der Windows-Ressourcenschutz konnten den Reparaturdienst nicht starten."
Translated: "Windows Resource Protection couldn't start the repair service."

Turned off all the services in Msconfig except for my anti-virus software. I'm a little bit confused about KB976749 - that's not one of the updates that I've been having trouble with or have even attempted to download. Are you sure I should be trying to install that one? I trid KB974431, a "Windows 7 Update" that had failed a couple times before, after restarting the cmoputer. Got the error message that the update wasn't appropriate for my computer.

Sorry, guess I didn't explain that well. 7023 was the event ID. The description is as follows:

"Der Dienst "Windows Modules Installer" wurde mit folgendem Fehler beendet:
Nicht genügend Systemressourcen, um den angeforderten Dienst auszuführen."
Translated: "The service "Windows Modules Installer" ended with the following error:
Not enough system resources to perform the requested service."

I am getting the same error 643 on my computer when trying to install .Netframework 4 ...its angering me to no end that google search is not giving me enough solutions to my problem. I have a really good antivirus program so, I KNOW FOR A FACT their are NO BUGS on my computer.

Back