Windows 7 Windows Update Error C004F012 and Activation Issues

FlameEye6

On Windows 7 RC x64, every time I search for updates, I get this weird error -, C004F012. After a long extensive Google search, I've found absolutely nothing related to my problem. The error isn't even on the Windows database, and it's driving me mad, so I decided to give this forum a try, as it seems there's a lot of helpful guys around.

Here's a few things I know for sure I've done wrong.

- Updated from 7077. I know, I know, I can't do any backups (too much data), so I had to risk it.
- Installed TimerNuke, PlusPatch, etc. (pre-RC update). The patches don't work anymore.
- Tried so many methods to reactivate it, that I'm pretty sure it fudged it even more somehow.
- Had the "Windows is not activated" screen up all the time when opening windows programs, and somehow fixed it. Don't ask how, I've tried so many damn things I can't even remember how I did it.

I can't activate the damn thing for the life of me, I've tried quite a few methods, but none seem to work. I managed to get winver to show up my name, but that's been totally useless. I'm pretty sure this activation thing is linked to the not updating thing, but if it's not, I can live without the activation, I could care less for it as long as I'm receiving updates.

Some worth-mentioning errors (using official MS keys)...

- Running slmgr.vbs -ipk and the key (and some other variants of this) gives me an error.
- Running slui.exe gives me an error. In fact, anything slui.exe related gives me errors.
- Running slui.exe 3 does show up the Product Key thingy, but when I enter it, it gives me an error saying the key is not compatible with my version of Windows - which is Ultimate.
- Status and Product ID under system properties show up as "Not available".

As I mentioned, a clean install is not a possibility, as I can't get a TB to backup my stuff, so I would like to try anything possible to get my updates working again. If it helps, I have ESET Smart Security installed (and yes, I have deactivated everything when doing all of the methods for everything), which curiously, had to reinstall as it completely stopped working after 7077-to-RC upgrade (it wasn't showing up under Programs and Features.

Besides the updates and the activation, everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks in advance for anyone attempting to help, or even for reading my post. =]

Are you using a leaked build or the official RC From MS.

If you've used Pluspatch previously or again on the RC, this is probably the reason you can't get updates.. Plus Patch modifies the activation files, (the ones you mentioned).

You stared you have a terabyte of files to back up.

You really couldn't have filled all that space, correct.

I would shrink the C:partition and create a new partition where you can copy you documents, videos, picture, mail settings, etc.

That way you can perform a "clean" install.

However, you will need to re=install all 3rd party apps that require an installation program.

I thought about giving that a try, but the tera is actually filled, entirely :p. I only have around 5 GBs free, which is not enough to do the dual-partition-then-clean-install-thing. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

As far as the version I installed, it was one of the leaks, but the hash matches the official one, so there really appears to be no difference at all as far as I can see. I've also done clean installs with this same disc on some other computers, and haven't had problems with this version at all.

but the tera is actually filled, entirely :p

My God, what do you have on a terabyte drive?

Hundreds of HD movies?

I have over 10,00 zip files and it doesn't come anyway near that much space.;)

Animation work, 3D modeling, textures, music, some games and movies... I actually have another terrabyte, which is also coincidentally completely filled up, hahaha.

It is, I won't say it isn't... but right now I don't have the money, and won't for a few more months, so that is not an option.

Anyone else might have a possible solution?

Sorry, I tried,

Hopefully someone will come through with an option, but since both are filled I don;t see a resolution to this problem.

On Windows 7 RC x64, every time I search for updates, I get this weird error -, C004F012. After a long extensive Google search, I've found absolutely nothing related to my problem. The error isn't even on the Windows database, and it's driving me mad, so I decided to give this forum a try, as it seems there's a lot of helpful guys around.

Here's a few things I know for sure I've done wrong.

- Updated from 7077. I know, I know, I can't do any backups (too much data), so I had to risk it.
- Installed TimerNuke, PlusPatch, etc. (pre-RC update). The patches don't work anymore.
- Tried so many methods to reactivate it, that I'm pretty sure it fudged it even more somehow.
- Had the "Windows is not activated" screen up all the time when opening windows programs, and somehow fixed it. Don't ask how, I've tried so many damn things I can't even remember how I did it.

I can't activate the damn thing for the life of me, I've tried quite a few methods, but none seem to work. I managed to get winver to show up my name, but that's been totally useless. I'm pretty sure this activation thing is linked to the not updating thing, but if it's not, I can live without the activation, I could care less for it as long as I'm receiving updates.

Some worth-mentioning errors (using official MS keys)...

- Running slmgr.vbs -ipk and the key (and some other variants of this) gives me an error.
- Running slui.exe gives me an error. In fact, anything slui.exe related gives me errors.
- Running slui.exe 3 does show up the Product Key thingy, but when I enter it, it gives me an error saying the key is not compatible with my version of Windows - which is Ultimate.
- Status and Product ID under system properties show up as "Not available".

As I mentioned, a clean install is not a possibility, as I can't get a TB to backup my stuff, so I would like to try anything possible to get my updates working again. If it helps, I have ESET Smart Security installed (and yes, I have deactivated everything when doing all of the methods for everything), which curiously, had to reinstall as it completely stopped working after 7077-to-RC upgrade (it wasn't showing up under Programs and Features.

Besides the updates and the activation, everything seems to be working perfectly. Thanks in advance for anyone attempting to help, or even for reading my post. =]
if possible, i would suggest using Paragon Partition Magic to make a small partition (using whatever space you have free on the hard disk with windows on it) and copy some of your files over to it. once that's done, Paragon can be used to extend one partition into another. do this a bit at a time until your files are all on a separate partition to windows. then re-install.

if you need any help (or a cracked version of Paragon) email me [email protected]

hope this helps

Delete this folder using regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

Merry Christmas!

Solved The Problem

Hi,

I was getting the same problem after installing pluspatch and it is now fixed.... though i am not sure exactly what it was....

i will tell you what i did ..... i followed the following article... i think what actually fixed it was typing this in cmd [FONT=&quot]sfc /scannow[/FONT] which is right at the end of the article......

if that doesnt work try the first bit of the article and restore the activation files....

Link Removed - Not Found .....

NOTE: remember make sure you have a genuine product key written down on paper that you know that works because once you restart it will ask you to activate immediately (alternately you could open the help and type command prompt and then open the command prompt window and then type explorer.exe to open windows up which i did as did not have product key available)

NOTE: Just in case if you are replacing the activation files make a backup of old ones so if you need to replace them back later it will be available as i remember having other issues with them in the past

regards
if you need any help i can be emailed at [email protected]

@ Tunkmaster - "sfc /scannow" will scan ALL critical system files on your harddrive, and if they do not match the original ones, they will be replaced with original files.. This will remove whatever cracks you may have placed on the system (thats why it wants to activate, etc).

My God, what do you have on a terabyte drive?
Link Removed - Invalid URL
- And my 500GB external harddrive is currently unplugged :rolleyes:

that is correct it replaces the crack but the problem me and FlameEye6 had was that it is corrupted so replacing it will fix it and then it can be cracked again or just activated with a product key from microsoft

Back
Top Bottom