Windows 10 Windows Update Severely Slowed Down PC

TiernanW

Hey!

A couple of nights ago I let my Windows 10 "Update and Shut Down" but when I booted it up again the next morning it took literally 10-15 mins to get the lock screen. After this it took a further 5 minutes to get to my desktop when I typed in my password.

Applications take a minute or so to launch after clicking on them. However, when the applications are actually up and running they perform fine. For example, I click on the Google Chrome icon on the taskbar and it takes a minute or so to appear on the screen, but then I can do everything within Chrome at the speed I would have before. All applications take a while to launch though.

I'm not sure what is causing the issue. When I googled the issue I tried a few things like turning off Cortana notifications, but that didn't working.

Any help would be really appreciated because my PC is basically unusable unless you are willing to wait.

Hi,
do you run any kind of maintenance such as running Ccleaner on a regular basis?

There is also an advanced form of the Windows Disk Clean application. You first need to set it up to run so open an admin command prompt and type:

cleanmgr /sageset:1

Press enter. This has now set up the app to run and you'll see the disk Clean box appear but with many more options to check off:
dc.jpg

Once you've checked off the tabs you want click ok and Disk clean will disappear as all you've done is set it up. To actually get it to run go back to the admin command prompt and type:

cleanmgr /sagerun:1

Press enter and you'll see the box appear again but this time running. Everytime you want it to run simply type the command in or if you want to change which tabs are checked off go back to the 'sageset' command and you can do so.

Try running these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

You could also try uninstalling the update, if it will let you, or using system restore?

If none of the solutions kemical recommended work, you might consider testing your hardware for faulty components. I wrote a very easy to use step-by-step Troubleshooting Guide to take you through testing your computer's hardware. If failed components are found, there is a software repair section which guides you through the best methods to reinstall your W10. We tend to favor a Clean Install approach. Take a look at my Guide at this link:Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Alternatively, you could pay a licensed Computer Tech to do the same thing if you don't have a week or so it takes to complete the testing process.

If you get stuck along the way, post back any questions you have. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back