Windows Vista Windows Updates continually FAIL

pjkinann

My last automatic update for Windows Vista was Jan 19, 08. It was a security update for Windows Vista KB941644. After that, every single update failed, and they were recommended updates.

Why would an update that is recommended fail? And even if I try to install manually, it says "fail".

I see the one that WV is trying to install is KB941649. It keeps trying but fails. Also it is trying for KB905866.

If it keeps failing you may already have it in your system... Are you running SP1? If so then you definately do have it. If for some reason update keeps trying to install these updates you can right-click on them and choose to hide the update. If however this isn't the case and your getting a error message please post..

Hi

I think Kemical is spot on with his suggestion that windows update KB941644 is already installed. I noticed that update was one of 14 updates installed when I installed SP1 RC 1 build 6001.17128 (KB937287).

Thank you so much for your response. Would you kindly direct me to where I locate IF I am using SP1 RC1 and if those updates are already installed. If they are then I'll choose to hide them so that my computer won't continually have me installing them.

Hmm from what you say.. I take it you didn't download and install the service pack yourself? If you did then you would have 'Evaluation Copy' on the desktop (usually visible in the bottom right-hand corner, you can also check by opening the control panel and clicking 'See the name of this computer'.. If it's installed you'll see Service pack 1 written). Also it's not an automatic download so you have to download and install it yourself. (unless someone else uses your machine and installed the RTM version?)
So if you haven't got service pack installed I'm going to need some more information...
What spec are you running and please as much detail as possible.
When the updates fail is there a error message and number?

Hi again guys

I had a look at my own vista update history and noticed the following:

KB941649 appears to be part of Service Pack 1 Beta Build 6001.17042

I also had update failures between uninstalling this version (17042) and installing Service Pack 1 RC1 Build 6001.17128. They were KB905886, KB941644, KB943302, KB941568 and KB941569. However after build 6001.17128 was installed windows update was reporting no missing updates.
I have since uninstalled build 6001.17128 and installed the RTM version without any further update failures.

Hope this helps

Right, I have automatic updates set. And I looked under "my computer" but don't see where it shows Service Pack 1 RC1 Build.

This is the detailed error message when I get the error "Windows Explorer has stopped working", then if I open details it has this:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16549
Application Timestamp: 46d230c5
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002294f
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: bfef
Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
Additional Information 3: bfef
Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

I looked under UPDATE HISTORY and it shows that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service pack 2 (KB 921896) was successfully installed. But I see nothing about a Service pack 1

What spec are you running and please as much detail as possible.
When the updates fail is there a error message and number?

You mean my OS? I'm on a Sony Vaio and my OS is Vista. Intel Core 2 Duo -- not sure what specs you need.

And for all the Failed installs (which a lot seem to be for mail junk e-mail filter) I have only what my update history shows.

Hi

Are you running an intel board, there is an issue with intel's provided
audio drivers that cause explorer.exe to crash.?

I've trawled the net via google and still a solution to this problem is escaping me.. :(
The only other thing I can think of suggesting is installing the service pack. You can either use one of the links found in this forum or use the RC version. The service pack has all the updates included.

An Intel Board.....well, as I mentioned it lists Intel Core 2 Duo so I'm assuming that is what you mean? So yes, I am running that.

I never used to have this problem. In fact I've had the computer for a year (purchased brand new) and this is the first time I've had any issues with it. So the failed updates is one, and the continual closing of Windows Explorer is the other (which I've posted in another thread to keep them separate).

So before this started happening, it was good. Never a problem.

I'll have to google "service pack 1 for Vista" because I'm assuming by all the searching I've done in my updates, that I do NOT have the SP1 installed.

Crossing fingers that things won't get worse when I DO install it. Sigh...

Thank you. I'll try this one too. I tried to install from someplace I had found through Google, and after it was supposed to install i got a message that it couldn't install because I didn't have the correct program it was looking for. REALLY! LOL I have Windows Explorer. I have Vista. I have a PC! LOL

So I'll try the link you gave me. Thank you very much.
Pamela

that's crazy. I tried that link twice, and both times it did this count down process to "download" and then finally said, "okay download now" and I did, and it took me to this link both times. That's definitely not anything for Microsoft or Windows SP1. LOL
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hmmm...weird. Sorry about that, let me find one that definately works and edit this post with the link..

Try this one:
Télécharger ce fichier
This is for the 32bit version. This will either take you to the page or to the download straight away. If it's to the page just click the blue writing which is the same as the above... :)

4 points before you follow these steps -
(1) ensure you backup or image your system so if the steps below fail, you can restore your system (you should do this before any major updates are made to your system).
(2) do not attempt these steps if windows update log shows any updates as pending. Eventually they will install or fail.
(3) in general, when widows update fails it leaves garbage lying about. Windows Update log will tell you which update(s) have failed. Take them one by one from the oldest failure to the most recent. I suggest you boot in between each set of searches and deletions.
(4) turn off install of windows updates automatically.

Use Search (Files and folders), choose advanced options, your primary drive and ensure include non-indexed files etc box is checked. Use the name of the update which failed as the search argument (KBnnnnnn). Once search has completed, select all files and delete them (some files won't delete, but dont worry).
Exit search, go to recycle bin and empty it. If another search finds any files for the same search, you have major problems and this solution will not work.
Reboot.
Repeat for each failed update.

Start Windows update from control panel and attempt each update in turn.

Hope this helps. Further notes may help -

(1) I use an external drive to image my system before any major change
(2) I let Windows Update notify me of updates, but choose to install them myself
(3) I install each update individually. Pain in the ass, but it works.

Cheers,
Les

Back
Top Bottom