Windows 7 Windows Vista 64 bit

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I see Newegg I believe has Windows Vista Home Premium (under the label of System Integrators Pack) for $99.00 or thereabouts. What does this mean exactly? Can I buy it at that price? If so thats quite a savings.

There is some fine print involved:

"Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116483

This is still a good price in my opinion.

Well support I do not need so that parts ok. Your right the price is great. So I think I will go ahead and order that Monday. So much for the old pay check.

It should also be noted that your allowed to change your CPU at least once with an OEM licence although changing your motherboard counts as installing it on another computer. If for some reason your mobo fails and has to be replaced then if you use the telephone activation when installing vista you can still use the OEM (in most cases). This would be a temporary measure though as your licence would be useless and the instalation of a OS with a good licence would be paramount.

Well thats sounds fine. I just ordered 4gb Crucial Memory for $31.99. I also got the Vista 64bit mHome Premium for $99.00. What the heck this might just turn out to be fantastic.

I got Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM and have had to reinstall and activate it a total of 3 times due to various problems but not with the hardware.
I think i paid about £100.00 about 4 months ago but it seems have gone up since then.
I have got Home Premium 32bit OEM but this too has been activated 3 times so i reckon this DVD will now be useless.

Phil.

Hang on, can't you just call to have reactivated? Seems thats the way it is still with XP. But, I don't know.

I 'think' this is how it goes... An OEM licence can be re-activated as many times as you wish as long as it's on the same pc.
Other types of licence such as upgrade or 'full' can be activated 5 times automatically but after that, re-activation has to done over the phone.

Thats not a big deal. The activation over the phone while an annoyance, does not really take too long. Hopefully my stuff will get shipped today. But, who knows.

While it is was a great price the 64 bit Vista is somewhat of an unfinished product. Here's why. No use or apparent lack of toolbars in the 64 bit version, including the Windows live toolbar. It certainly can not run all the 32 bit software even if it was created yesterday. And it appears there a few errors which I have seen are nowhere documented for anyone to find out whats going on. Other than those things it's very speedy and is a nice improvement over 32 bit Vista. The thing about not being able to use such things as Roboform in the 64 bit IE8 can be explained a little further. Since Vista 64 bit comes with both versions of IE, you can only use toolbars such as Roboform or Windows Live in the 32 bit IE8. Weird.

Hello. I bought a laptop. I want to run Windows Vista Home Premium. It certainly can not run all the 32 bit software even if it was created yesterday? what do I do?

What operating system is on it now, how much memory, and whats the video card on it? If it's got 4 gigi's of memory 64 bit Vista Home premium should not be a problem, though I also would like to know what processor you have in the laptop?

Also, it would be helpful if you could list the software you would like to run on it. That way if something does not work maybe a subsitute for it can be found.

Hello. I bought a laptop. I want to run Windows Vista Home Premium. It certainly can not run all the 32 bit software even if it was created yesterday? what do I do?

Please remove your signature as requested by my pm

Thankyou

Back