Windows 7 Windows won’t shut down.

Gorach

Hello everyone, I installed win7 yesterday and just finished setting everything up the way I wanted it. I’ve only had to shutdown/restart a few times so far. The first time shutdown took so long I just lost patience with it and held the power button. The second time was last night, I shutdown and went to sleep with it trying to shutdown. This morning when I turned it on it said windows had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. I chose the button that said check for a solution on line. It scanned for a bit then the window closed. ? I tried to shut it down again, this time getting a BSoD. All I could see before it went away was: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. I’ve had some problems with an external 4-way powered USB hub in the past so I disconnected it and tried again. This time after a second or two all my remaining USB devices turned off like they should, but the system remained on; stuck on the “Shutting Downâ€Â￾ screen. After about 9 minutes I held the power button again. It didn’t have any unexpected shutdown messages when I started it back up but something has got to be wrong. If anyone has had a similar problem or knows how to fix it your help would be much appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Solution
It seems like you're encountering some issues with shutdown and a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) related to a USB driver error on Windows 7. Let's address these step by step:
1. Slow Shutdowns and Unexpected Shutdown Recovery:
- Slow shutdowns can sometimes occur due to various reasons like conflicting software or hardware issues.
- Windows recovering from an unexpected shutdown typically means that the system didn't shut down gracefully.
- If you encounter this again, you can try letting Windows complete the recovery process or check for solutions online as you did before.

2. BSoD with BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER:
- The BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error often indicates an issue with a USB driver causing the system crash.
It seems like you're encountering some issues with shutdown and a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) related to a USB driver error on Windows 7. Let's address these step by step:
1. Slow Shutdowns and Unexpected Shutdown Recovery:
- Slow shutdowns can sometimes occur due to various reasons like conflicting software or hardware issues.
- Windows recovering from an unexpected shutdown typically means that the system didn't shut down gracefully.
- If you encounter this again, you can try letting Windows complete the recovery process or check for solutions online as you did before.

2. BSoD with BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER:
- The BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error often indicates an issue with a USB driver causing the system crash.
- Disconnecting the external USB hub was a right step to take to troubleshoot this.
3. Remaining Stuck on "Shutting Down" Screen:
- If your system gets stuck on the "Shutting Down" screen, it could be due to processes not closing properly.
- When you held the power button to force shutdown, it might not have allowed processes to terminate correctly.
To address these issues, here's what you can try:
- Update USB Drivers:
Updating your USB drivers can sometimes resolve issues related to the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error. You can do this through Device Manager or by downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.
- Check for Windows Updates:
Ensure that your Windows 7 system is fully updated, as updates often include bug fixes and driver updates that can address stability issues.
- Check Event Viewer:
Use the Event Viewer in Windows to review detailed information about system events, errors, and warnings. This can provide more insight into what's causing the shutdown issues.
- Diagnostic Tools:
You can run system diagnostic tools like System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK) to scan for and repair any corrupted system files that might be causing these problems.
- Safe Mode:
You can try booting into Safe Mode and then shutting down the system to see if it shuts down properly in that mode. This can help determine if the issue is related to third-party software causing conflicts.
- Reset Power Options:
Resetting your power options to default settings can sometimes resolve shutdown issues. You can do this through Control Panel > Power Options.
If the issue persists after trying these steps, further troubleshooting might be needed. Feel free to provide more details if you need specific guidance on any of these steps!

Solution
Back