Windows 10 Windows won't upgrade to 2004 again after rollback.

Hydrarchos

Hi all,

A while back I upgraded from 1909 to 2004. However, one particular piece of software started misbehaving and I had to roll back (there were a few other issues as well, but these were minor). Since then, that particular app has been updated for compatibility with 2004, but Windows update will not let me upgrade again. My system is reported as "up to date" despite it being stuck on 1909 (18363.1016).

Now, it might be the years of immediate upgrade preconditioning by Apple (I switched about nine months ago), but I like to be on the last available version of the OS. Can you tell me how I convince Windows to upgrade?

Three of my PCs updated from 1903 to 1909 to 2004 then 20H2 with minimal frustration. Two were old eMachines (2010 vintage) and my two year old Dell laptop. However, my wife's Dell laptop, a year older than mine, is stuck on 1909 and will not update to 2004 no matter what method I use. You know the drill. I assume it's the black cloud over her PC, but it makes no sense to waste 5 or 6 hours so at the last minute it stops and says it will not update. I have read reams of material of others having the same problem with no apparent fixes. Anyone else having such trouble?

Three of my PCs updated from 1903 to 1909 to 2004 then 20H2 with minimal frustration. Two were old eMachines (2010 vintage) and my two year old Dell laptop. However, my wife's Dell laptop, a year older than mine, is stuck on 1909 and will not update to 2004 no matter what method I use. You know the drill. I assume it's the black cloud over her PC, but it makes no sense to waste 5 or 6 hours so at the last minute it stops and says it will not update. I have read reams of material of others having the same problem with no apparent fixes. Anyone else having such trouble?
Have you tried a clean install of 20H2? This will wipe the drive and install the OS from scratch....like the day it was first turned on. Once installed, the OS will find all your drivers for the laptop. If it misses any, then go to Dells website and for that laptop model and install any drivers that may be missing. Verify that with the device manager as to what you have and don't have.

Have you tried a clean install of 20H2? This will wipe the drive and install the OS from scratch....like the day it was first turned on. Once installed, the OS will find all your drivers for the laptop. If it misses any, then go to Dells website and for that laptop model and install any drivers that may be missing. Verify that with the device manager as to what you have and don't have.
I did, but not a clean install. My wife now tells me to forget it, she like to use her Dell not play IT with it. :) She is happy doing games. Oh well. I'm going to forget it; after 56 years she get's her way, :cool: thanks anyway.

Back
Top Bottom