Windows 7 Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

Nepkerl

Hi, I just preorded the windows 7 upgrade and I'm wondering, is it possible for me to "upgrade" (Clean install) my windows xp 32 bit to 64bit windows 7?

I've read the windows 7 FAQ and it said of your upgrading from XP, a clean install is required to upgrade but does the upgrade offer allow for xp 32bit to be upgraded to w7 64bit?

Thanks.

Dont worry, its really easy to perform a clean install from the upgrade media. You will have to back everything up, but provided your CPU supports x64, you shouldnt have any problems.

Nepkerl said:
I've read the windows 7 FAQ and it said of your upgrading from XP, a clean install is required to upgrade but does the upgrade offer allow for xp 32bit to be upgraded to w7 64bit?

A clean install and an upgrade are different things (opposites, in fact); an upgrade just "changes" your present OS to the new OS and a clean install wipes off your old OS and installs the new OS, erm, newly. Windows XP can't upgrade to 7, meaning you'll have to do a clean install. Back up your documents, files, folders, etc. that you want to keep and then do a clean install. You'll then have to reinstall your programs and everything since you'll start out on a blank slate again.

Hope that helps :)

A clean install and an upgrade are different things (opposites, in fact); an upgrade just "changes" your present OS to the new OS and a clean install wipes off your old OS and installs the new OS, erm, newly. Windows XP can't upgrade to 7, meaning you'll have to do a clean install. Back up your documents, files, folders, etc. that you want to keep and then do a clean install. You'll then have to reinstall your programs and everything since you'll start out on a blank slate again.

Hope that helps :)

Hi,

thanks for your replies, well what I want to do is change my XP 32bit os to a Windows 7 64 bit OS by using the Windows preorder upgrade program. I know that I have to clean install which is what i want and also, I do not have anything to back up since it has already been done. (I'm currently using the RC)

So just to confirm, the windows 7 preorder upgrade program media should allow me to clean install a windows 7 64bit OS despite having an 32bit XP OS right? (Swap 32bit XP OS to a 64bit Windows 7 OS)

If this is possible, this should be a cheaper solution than buying a whole new Windows 7 OS and throwing out my old XP OS.

Also, I always reformat my PC every 6-12months so do i need to burn a "recovery disc" once i've installed the windows 7 OS just to do my yearly reformat and clean install procedure?
Is this possible with the disc that comes with the "windows 7 upgrade"?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sorry, you can't use the upgrade media to go from XP 32-bit to 7 64-bit. The fact that it's XP to 7 makes it impossible, plus the fact that a 32-bit to 64-bit is impossible too. You'll have to buy the full version of Windows 7 and perform a clean install which will completely wipe out XP and install 7. Also make sure you have a 64-bit processor because a 64-bit OS won't install unless the processor is also 64-bit.

I think several people are not understanding the actual question being asked here.

The question being asked is:

I currently own Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Microsoft has already said that the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade package will allow you to upgrade from Windows XP, but it will need to perform a clean install of the program (the Upgrade disks can do a clean install). Microsoft has already certified that the Upgrade Package will include a disk each for 32-bit and 64-bit in the same package. Windows Vista users can do an "upgrade" over the top of their existing OS and saving their current program settings, but Windows XP users will have to format their Hard Drive and start from the beginning with the same DVD software disk.

But, will the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit install disk authenticate my acceptability to install it if I only own a 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional with the 32-bit key that I am wanting to qualify from?

-- Unfortunately, I do not have the answer, but I do have the same question.

Sorry, you can't use the upgrade media to go from XP 32-bit to 7 64-bit. The fact that it's XP to 7 makes it impossible, plus the fact that a 32-bit to 64-bit is impossible too. You'll have to buy the full version of Windows 7 and perform a clean install which will completely wipe out XP and install 7. Also make sure you have a 64-bit processor because a 64-bit OS won't install unless the processor is also 64-bit.

I still do not get what do you by "I can't use the upgrade media to go from XP 32-bit to 7 64-bit". On the Windows 7 Upgrade media FAQ it says,

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

Which product should I purchase?

You can choose between the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade.

Will I get 32-bit or 64-bit discs?

You’ll get both. Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional packaged products include both 32- and 64-bit discs.

I am running Windows XP, can I upgrade to Windows 7?
Microsoft designed Windows 7 Upgrade media for Windows Vista. A customer with Windows XP can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade media but must back up their files, clean install, and then reinstall their applications.

From this, no doubt that i cannot just simply upgrade my XP 32 bit to windows 7 straight using the upgrade media but I will have to do a clean install of Windows 7 through the upgrade media. (Which is what i want)

Also it says that the upgrade media includes both 32 bit and 64 bit discs which means that when doing my clean install of windows 7 through the upgrade media disc, i can just use the 64 bit disc and my Windows 7 OS would be the 64 bit one right?

My PC's hardware is already 100% 64bit supported.

I just want to ask whether that the licence for the windows 7 upgrade media will allow me to take my xp 32-bit OS as the base offer condition (genuine copy of the Windows XP) and perform a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit through the upgrade media program thus making my XP 32-bit become a Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

I think several people are not understanding the actual question being asked here.

The question being asked is:

I currently own Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Microsoft has already said that the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade package will allow you to upgrade from Windows XP, but it will need to perform a clean install of the program (the Upgrade disks can do a clean install). Microsoft has already certified that the Upgrade Package will include a disk each for 32-bit and 64-bit in the same package. Windows Vista users can do an "upgrade" over the top of their existing OS and saving their current program settings, but Windows XP users will have to format their Hard Drive and start from the beginning with the same DVD software disk.

But, will the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit install disk authenticate my acceptability to install it if I only own a 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional with the 32-bit key that I am wanting to qualify from?

-- Unfortunately, I do not have the answer, but I do have the same question.

Sorry about the double post, As vehnom has stated this is the exact issue I have about whether microsoft's licence will allow me to use my xp 32bit as the base to install the windows 7 64-bit.

For example, from current OEM free upgrade policy (HP, Dell ,etc), I know that if you buy a laptop now with windows vista 32bit, the free upgrade program will only allow you to upgrade from a Vista 32 bit to a W7 32 bit and not from a 32bit to a 64 bit.
But will this be the case for us who are buying the windows 7 upgrade media.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That is also my question. I know that you can't upgrade existing 32bit OS with 64bit OS without clean install, that is logical. But I have Vista Home Premium 32bit and XP pro 32bit and for me is cheaper if is possible to buy upgrade option, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. But question is, can I use upgrade option for clean 64bit install, or license is connected with current 32bit OS?

That is also my question. I know that you can't upgrade existing 32bit OS with 64bit OS without clean install, that is logical. But I have Vista Home Premium 32bit and XP pro 32bit and for me is cheaper if is possible to buy upgrade option, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. But question is, can I use upgrade option for clean 64bit install, or license is connected with current 32bit OS?

This is where I get mixed opinions. Per microsoft the answer is a resounding no! They say 32 bit or 64 bit can not be written over with an upgrade.

But...per many website forums, I get yes because you are getting a clean install. One of them is from a UK software Engineer who works for Microsoft on a contract basis. I don't have the link but I found it via search. Just type UK microsoft upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit... see if you can find it. I am thinking of trying it since you are clean installing. The product key is my only concern as the clean install wipes the hard drive, drivers, etc... But be warned. if you upgrade using a 32 bit platform for windows 7, you cannot buy Home Premium, you must get Business per microsoft sales. But of course that is more money so why not tell you what you need. I have contacted another software guru and am waiting for a reply.

This is where I get mixed opinions. Per microsoft the answer is a resounding no! They say 32 bit or 64 bit can not be written over with an upgrade.

But...per many website forums, I get yes because you are getting a clean install. One of them is from a UK software Engineer who works for Microsoft on a contract basis. I don't have the link but I found it via search. Just type UK microsoft upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit... see if you can find it. I am thinking of trying it since you are clean installing. The product key is my only concern as the clean install wipes the hard drive, drivers, etc... But be warned. if you upgrade using a 32 bit platform for windows 7, you cannot buy Home Premium, you must get Business per microsoft sales. But of course that is more money so why not tell you what you need. I have contacted another software guru and am waiting for a reply.

Now I'm so mad that I buy Home Premium 32bit instead 64bit. I don't need all that Ultimate mumbo jumbo. For me Home Basic 64bit is perfect. I have 8GB RAM (max for Home Basic). Quad Core (don't need dual CPU MB support). Aero, BitLocker, Backup Image (I have Acronis), Remote Desktop (UltraVNC, Team Viewer alternative) are not necessary for me.
Basically I need Windows for AutoCAD. But if I cannot buy Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and/or Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for my machines, I will run Ubuntu GNU/Linux 64bit with Windows XP on VirtualBox. I pay'ed enough for XP pro and VHP, don't want anymore.
I check on Amazon, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade offer. It says:
Upgrade to Windows 7
All editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista qualify you to upgrade.
So If this is what I think it is, they (Microsoft-Windows7) don't care what architecture you have in your PC. Propably I can choose 32/64bit in install option.
I will contact Microsoft, just to be sure. Better safe, than sorry.

I check on Microsoft page:
Installing and reinstalling Windows
You will also need to decide whether to install a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows Vista. For help deciding, see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions.
So, this is propably answer to my qustions. According to this, I can buy upgrade DVD, and I can choose 32bit or 64bit Windows 7. Of course, 64bit will be clean install.

Last edited:
Exactly.

It doesn't matter which bit version of 2000 or XP or Vista you currently have - you qualify for the upgrade deal.

You just need to use the upgrade dvd to perform a clean install if you are installing a different bit version.

You also need to use the upgrade dvd if you currently have 2000 or XP - irrespective of the bit version.

MS are not insistent about the bit versions - they would like you to move to 64 bit - but the choice is yours.

That is because there is no difference in price between 32 and 64 bit.

Exactly.

It doesn't matter which bit version of 2000 or XP or Vista you currently have - you qualify for the upgrade deal.

You just need to use the upgrade dvd to perform a clean install if you are installing a different bit version.

You also need to use the upgrade dvd if you currently have 2000 or XP - irrespective of the bit version.

MS are not insistent about the bit versions - they would like you to move to 64 bit - but the choice is yours.

That is because there is no difference in price between 32 and 64 bit.

Actually you get both 32 and 64 bit DVD with the purchase

Yes. I know.

That is what I am saying - you can choose which one to install.

That is why they are including both - they would like people to move to 64 bit.

To make it clearer :

The license is not connected to a bit version.

Last edited:
Thank you for finally clearing that up. Microsoft is not saying that we can go from 32 to 64 bit. So I am going to buy the windows 7 Home premium upgrade.

what i found

Just to clarify this is what I found and did:

I just finished using the upgrade version of the software to go from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. You cannot start from within XP like the instructions say. You have to boot from the 64 bit Windows 7 installation disc. On my computer I went into bios <f12> for my system and changed the boot order to boot from the 64 bit labeled Windows 7 disc. Then I did the custom install and installed over the system disc / partition.

Hope

Yes you cannot use the disc to upgrade rather you have to do a clean install instead to get the 64 bit to work.

I've just registered because I have the same problem.

Yes, some of you people are getting the question wrong. From what I have read, he knows he is going to have to do a clean install with the upgrade disc.
What you are getting confused about is how he keeps referring to upgrading but he is actually asking if he can cleanly install Windows 7 64 bit with the Upgrade disc, but his current OS is Windows XP.
I am wondering the exact question because I am going to make the move but I want to save money, but this thread is confusing. Can someone confirm you can use the upgrade disc to do a clean install to go from Windows 7 32bit to Windows 7 64bit?

Back
Top Bottom