Windows 7 Windows7 64bit cannot reach local network, but connects to the internet

tasho

Hi,

I have the following weird problem: I have three machines

A) WinXP Pro SP3 32bit
B) WinXP Home SP3 (32bit)
C) Win7 Pro 64bit

They are all connected through a router to the same DSL modem. Each has its own unique static IP. Each can access the internet without a problem. Computers A) and B) can talk to each other and to C). However, C) cannot see A) or B). It cannot even ping them.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Tasho

If you cannont ping A and B from C, then A and B are probably running some third party software that is misinterpreting the networking attempts as some type of intrusion. Look at the XP machines for firewalls and antivirus security suites (Comodo, Zone Alarm, McAfee, Norton, etc.) uninstall them, get your network up and running and then re-install later.

resolved

Thank you very much for your answer. You were right on. Machines A) and B) are running firewalls, which I was of course aware of. What I had forgotten was that I had not allowed the full local network to talk to them, but rather only their individual IP addresses (for more security). I've added C)'s address to the allowed list and now they work. Thanks again.

Excellent, glad you have it resolved. Often I just suggest, that you uninstall because some folks are not familar with how to tweak the trusts within their specific product, glad that wasn't the case in your instance. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Back