Windows 7 Windows7 has installed on 2nd drive (d) not as requested (c)

silverman

Honorable Member
Why when installing Window7 has it installed in drive (d) rather than (c) that has XP Pro installed operating system installed. I did not see any option regaring the drive selection when I did the install. I have tried to format the (d) drive before starting again, but cant format it - It showed Windows7 after the install but when I did a re-boot it loaded XP Pro from the (c) drive - help please

Drive letters change in dual boot situations, with the boot partition usually being C:

Are both of these partitions on the same hard drive?

I do not understand why it did not give you an option as to where to install, because that usually only happens during an upgrade install, which you cannot do from XP to Win 7.

Last edited:
Hi Saltglass, I have two hard drives (c) with the XP Pro still on and (d) with the Windows 7 now installed. If I unplug the (d) drive can should I the try the installation again? I will still have to reformat the (d) drive at some point. I don't seem to be able to format it from the current se-up, what is the best way to do this.

On another point when I log out of this forum as I did yesterday, this website can't be found. Some times it's down for a few hours and on one occasion it was down for more than 24 hours - Why is this?

Thanks

Unplugging one hard will always clear up any confusion about which drive is primary thus which drive will have the system partition on it.

Make sure you know which one is which. I always hate to install 2 drives the same size because it makes it harder to tell them apart. I never make 2 partitions the same size, so I can tell them apart, just it case it becomes necessary.

Do you show a small unlettered partition on either drive?

Thanks Drew & Saltgrass - I am going to remove the old D drive and then do the install as you recommend, I am going to replace the D HD with a lerger one so the previos Windows7 will no longer be available - Will have another go at the Windows 7 installation over the weekend and fit the new drive when it arrives. Drew thanks for the update about the website "Great site" + Great people.
Thanks for all your advise, much appreciated. I will reply when up and running - I don't think I should have any problems.

I you decide you want to dual boot with XP, download EasyBCD, the 2.0 version if you join their forum, and use it to add the XP/2k installation if the XP drive is reinstalled. It will move all the boot files you need and alter the boot.ini to point to the XP install.

I will stick to Windows7 I have it running on a new laptop and think its a great improvement. I also have a couply of other computer that still are running XP Pro. I will reply when up and running - Many thanks

Back