Windows Vista Winows 7 x64 wont install

Walmart_Cop

Im trying to install the x64 version of Windows 7 but it keeps telling me that my laptop isint a x64 bit even though it IS. It seems to work when I try to install it from boot up[ but it wont give me the option to upgrade, which is what i want. And before you say the option to upgrade isint available, it is for the version of Windows 7 im trying to install. I upgraded from vista to W7 on another computer and it brought over my files and everything

It sounds like you are encountering some difficulties installing the x64 version of Windows 7 on your laptop and are specifically looking to upgrade without losing your files. Here are a few points to consider and steps you can take to potentially resolve this issue:

1. Compatibility Check: Ensure that your laptop is compatible with a 64-bit operating system. Most modern laptops support x64, but it's worth double-checking the specifications of your laptop to confirm this.

2. Installation Method: If the installation is working when you boot from the Windows 7 installation media, it's a good sign. Installing from boot-up is usually the best way to perform a clean install of Windows as it allows you to format the drive for a fresh installation.

3. Upgrade Option: Upgrading to a different version of Windows from within the operating system can sometimes be limited. If you are looking to upgrade from an existing Windows version (like Vista) to Windows 7 x64, the clean installation method might be the only option.

4. Data Transfer: If you are concerned about transferring your files from the previous installation, you can back up your important files before proceeding with the installation. This way, you can ensure that your data is safe even if you perform a clean installation.

5. Upgrade Experience from Vista: While the upgrade experience from Vista to Windows 7 might have been seamless on another computer, the upgrade process can vary based on different system configurations and versions of Windows.

6. Installation Steps:
- Boot from the Windows 7 installation media.
- Choose "Custom (advanced)" installation option.
- Select the drive where you want to install Windows 7.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you encounter any specific error messages or issues during the installation process, providing details about them can help in diagnosing the problem more accurately. Let me know if you need further assistance with the installation process.

Back