Wins Server in server 2008R2

geo77

Hello all,
I have two networks that are connected via vpn, the two subnets are as follows 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24
I need to be able to resolve by name from one network to the other, most of my computers run windows 7 pro.
My wins server's ip address is 192.168.1.5 and I have set up my clients to point to it in the advanced settings of the network configuration.
For some reason I was able to find hosts from one network to the other very sporadically across the different machines and most stopped working all together, so I have resorted to editing the host file on each machine as a work around, but I need to get this working.

If there is something I'm missing or I am doing incorrectly, I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you all!

Hello all,
I just thought of something that might be related to my ussue above, but not sure.
Both my networks have their own separate dhcp servers which is their respective default router. Should I have my dhcp server set up in the same machine as my Wins server?

In order to use a VPN to tunnel NetBIOS your VPN client software needs to support and be configured to do so.
I've attached an example from a Cisco VPN client configured as such.
Tunnel NetBT
If this box is checked, all traffic using Microsoft's networking protocol, Windows NetBT, will be tunneled.
Source: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn5000/manager/reference/guide/client.html#wp1019931

Additionally, generally speaking the LMHosts file, rather than the Hosts File is used to aid and support the propagation and resolution of NetBIOS names to IP addresses across routed networks so you may have some luck editing LMHosts instead of Hosts.
The LMHOSTS file must contain a NetBIOS name–to–IP address mapping for all computers that are not on the local network subnet.
Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959903.aspx

Attachments

• TunnelVPN.jpg
    TunnelVPN.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 410
Thank you, so much for that great tip. I will try it on my network and report back. I am eventually going to install active directory in this network, I'm wondering if there are other protocols I should be aware of? if you know please share this info, I am kind of new to the world of vpn.
I am using an ipsec vpn tunel.

Thanks!

For what it's worth I would have installed active direct or adds first then dns and saved dhcp for last but I assume you are just having fun kicking the tyres on this server. Also worth a check that the dns is not set to loopback address i.e. 127.0.0.1 or the other machines will never get anywhere.

Trouble,
I am using two devices that use some sort of linux OS which use ipsec vpn tunnel. Do you know there is such settings for the ipsec protocol?

ussnorway,
I wish I would have been able to design the network from the ground up, but I inherited a badly designed network setup using hubs and even some home equipment. :insanity:
I'm sure you know how it goes, every business person(boss) wants to have a fast and great network without having to fork over the money for the equipment..:rolleyes:

Trouble,
I am using two devices that use some sort of linux OS which use ipsec vpn tunnel. Do you know there is such settings for the ipsec protocol?
It doesn't have much to do with the encapsulation / encryption your using, but more so the device's OS (if you're using end point hardware) and how configurable the device is.
The information you need regarding configuration and maintenance of a VPN tunnel should be available through the vendor of the device(s) and the interface / software / client piece, is usually vendor hardware specific, downloadable (usually) through them.

Back