Windows 7 wireless card crashing computer?

lzerarc

My computer keeps crashing when it attempts to wake up from sleeping. It never crashes when it is running normally and I am working on it.

It has a wireless card for my inet, and any time I wake it up the bars down in the lower right show no signal and it has the round wheel spinning like it is searching for the signal. After about 3-5 minutes, it either finds it and runs or it crashes. You can not click or select anything until it finds the signal.

also sometimes when it crashes and restarts, it does several different things. Sometimes it restarts normally and a window says it recovered from an unexpected shut down, other times it prompts to start normally or in safe mode, and other times it just says failed to find boot drive so try restarting, or it does BSOD.

It also takes several minutes to even wake up. I have tried setting the power settings for the HD to never shut down and be always on. That hasnt changed it. I really do not want to set it to never sleep.

I am running windows 7 64 bit on a machine about 3-4 years old. It previous had vista 32bit, windows 7 was installed about 6 months ago. Have not had the crashing issues until recently.

Talking with our IT guy in my office, he thinks it could be the HD taking a crap, or perhaps the wireless card is not compatible with windows 7 64 bit and that is causing the crash. But why would it just now be doing this?

Any thoughts? try replacing the HD or the wireless card?

This may not be it... but try setting your "time to turn off display" to never....

I had a similar problem with my machine coming out of video off and standby... apparently the video drivers are not correctly reinitialized and it crashes the system.

As I say, this may not be it... but it seems worth a try.

bump

i tried yanking the wireless card and restarting. I got a black screen upon restart that said failed to find boot drive.
Restarted, same error. Restarted, this time it said had to check files on drive for consistency.
Restarted, finally booted fine. Got the windows error message and it states this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 77
BCP1: 0000000000000001
BCP2: FE830C708B19332C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF88003646900
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\092010-24663-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-47252-0.sysdata.xml

Update the driver for the wireless adapter, from the manufacturer's site. Use safe mode + networking if necessary to do so.

You'll also receive the best help by posting the minidump for other issues to take care of. They're in C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder. Then zip them and attach the zip to a post.

Back
Top Bottom