Windows 7 Wireless Network Adapter: "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

Pmac

Zonet ZEW1602 - Using the CD drivers, which were valid with Vista 64 bit.

Using Windows 7 Build 7100, 64-bit.

I cannot get wireless networking to work. A) It complains about the drivers not being digitally signed b) Even if I sign them myself, I then get an error: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" and the wireless card just simply refuses to work. Any suggestions? Is it just because maybe these drivers are only valid with Vista. That doesnt make sense as I have been reading that like 99% of Vista compatible drivers are working on Windows 7. Is my driver just the exception? No matter what I do, I cannot get this wireless thing to work. I'm stuck on a wired connection until I can figure this out.

Could the guru's lend their advice?

Error code 10 means, driver is not accepted by Windows 7. Try to see whether there is a update for your wireless drivers. How are you installing the drivers? Thru running the CD?
Try installing the drivers alone thru device manager and check.

I disabled automatic driver installation and downloaded the newest drivers off the website, then pointed to the folder that contained them. Would not accept the drivers, saying "Windows was unable to install your Ethernet Controller." I think the manufacturer of my card is just lazy and won't make the drivers. I have no idea exactly because they won't reply to my emails.

BTW is there a new build version out? I read somewhere that there is a 7201 Build that accepts a wider range of drivers, perhaps that may work? Every time I go to Microsoft's website to re-download the RC, it keeps downloading 7100.

Try searching for a driver in driversguide.com. It seems to be strange tht Windows 7 doesnt accept Vista drivers. Somewhere somethings missing.

The new release isn't official, I believe.

Back