Windows 7 Wireless network missing entirely from laptop?

Yaqzan

Hi guys. So My Dell Inspiron windows 7 laptop's wireless functionality has completely stopped working.

Instead of a wireless tray icon, in the bottom right, there is a broadband ethernet icon, with a red x.

There is a button on the keyboard which enables wireless, but pressing that has stopped doing anything.

Troubleshooting the problem, it tells me that I need to connect an ethernet cable, for it to work.

Checking the network connections page, there is no wireless driver or connection listed. Only the broadband. In short, my wireless driver is completely gone.

I've tried downloading drivers from the manufacturors website, but there is none. You can trust Dell to let you down there.

So any solutions? Thanks in advance. I'm currently using broadband, but would like to get my wireless back up and running.

Try going into device manager and removing the wireless adapter from the device list then rebooting and see if Windows detects and re-installs the adapter. I'm surprised you've had problems getting drivers from Dell - I've always found their driver support very accessible and comprehensive.

The thing is, the wireless adapter isnt even there, in the device manager list. Its just completely gone. And my laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5030. The website has no network or wireless drivers for it. Just a few other ones. Any other suggestions?

Unless you fancy delving into your laptop and physically checking the wireless adapter. It may be easily accessible and maybe just a plug-in device (they often are) but you need confidence to know what you are doing. Even if you do this unless it is just a loose connection you have no means of testing it or where to go for a replacement. I think Dell is your best option.

Back
Top Bottom