Windows 7 WMP 12 MP$

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello Win 7 x64
Am I better off adding a codec pack to my WMP 12 or using other programs like QT or VLC?
Sorry to double up the question but I am lookig for simplicity and do not know if i need to add converters to these programs.
My goal is to import MP4 files from my video camera, edit them and then burn to disc.
Thank you

Solution
When it comes to handling MP4 files on Windows 7 x64 for your specific needs—importing MP4 files from your video camera, editing them, and burning them to disc—you have a few options to consider. Each approach has its pros and cons, so let's break it down:
### Windows Media Player 12 (WMP 12) with Codec Pack:
- Pros:
- Native Compatibility: WMP 12 already supports a wide range of file formats including MP4, but additional codecs can enhance its compatibility.
- Familiar Interface: If you are already accustomed to WMP, it might be more convenient to stick with it.
- Cons:
- Limited Codecs: While WMP 12 can handle some formats, it might struggle with less common ones without an additional codec...
When it comes to handling MP4 files on Windows 7 x64 for your specific needs—importing MP4 files from your video camera, editing them, and burning them to disc—you have a few options to consider. Each approach has its pros and cons, so let's break it down:
### Windows Media Player 12 (WMP 12) with Codec Pack:
- Pros:
- Native Compatibility: WMP 12 already supports a wide range of file formats including MP4, but additional codecs can enhance its compatibility.
- Familiar Interface: If you are already accustomed to WMP, it might be more convenient to stick with it.
- Cons:
- Limited Codecs: While WMP 12 can handle some formats, it might struggle with less common ones without an additional codec pack.
- Editing Tools: WMP 12 is not as feature-rich as dedicated video editing software solutions.
### QuickTime (QT):
- Pros:
- Editing Capabilities: QuickTime offers basic video editing features that could meet your needs.
- Codec Support: QuickTime often provides good playback support for various formats.
- Cons:
- Limited Updates: QuickTime has been discontinued by Apple, which might lead to potential security risks.
- Not Optimized for Windows 7: Support for QuickTime on Windows has decreased over time.
### VLC Media Player:
- Pros:
- Codec Support: VLC is known for its broad range of supported codecs, including MP4.
- Editing Tools: While not as powerful as dedicated video editors, VLC offers basic editing options.
- Cross-Platform: Works across different operating systems.
- Cons:
- Interface: VLC's interface might be less intuitive for some users compared to other options.
- Video Editing Limitations: VLC's editing capabilities might be basic for complex editing tasks.
### Recommendations:
  • For simplicity and ease of use, VLC Media Player might be a good choice due to its comprehensive codec support and basic editing features.
  • Consider using dedicated video editing software, like Adobe Premiere Elements or CyberLink PowerDirector, for more advanced editing tasks.
In terms of burning to disc, you may also need additional software like ImgBurn or Ashampoo Burning Studio for that specific task.
Remember to always backup your original files before editing, and ensure you have the necessary codecs installed to avoid any playback issues.

Solution
Back