Windows 10 How to re-download/re-install WMP 12?

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
I've always hated Windows Media Player, so after I installed 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (EN-US - NOT N or K), I uninstalled WMP 12 and was happy. But now I'm trying to install a new application called PlayOn Desktop, but it always fails because I don't have WMP installed.

I've tried using Optional Features / Programs and Features, but there are absolutely no entries relating to any kind of media player. I've also tried downloading from Microsoft and attempting to install WMP 12 for Win 10 "N" editions, but that refused to install because I don't have either the "N" or "K" versions. I also tried some MSU file for WMP 12, but that didn't work either.

So where can I download the EN-US version of WMP 12 that I can install in my Win 10?

Thanks!

Also, Please, please do not suggest a repair install of Windows 10! I've spent MONTHS setting up my system exactly the way I want it, yet even a repair install will massively screw me over!! I'd far rather kill myself than re-install Windows 10!

Which version of Windows 10 is it? Is this a Windows 10 N or KN edition?

If it's an N edition it won't have the media features. See the following link for media feature pack downloads https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions

Thanks for your reply! But as I said in my OP, I am NOT running N or K or KN editions. I've got the English-US Pro edition. I've downloaded the wmplayer 12 installer for the "N" edition, but it would not install because I'm running the EN-US edition.

You can try enabling it with dism dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:MediaPlayback or dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:WindowsMediaPlayer If that errors out then you've managed to completely remove it and you will need a windows install disk that's the same build as yours. Then use dism to add the feature with the install.wim file as the source from the install disk.

Back
Top Bottom