Windows Vista Won't acress the internet

redkcir

I just did a clean install of 7 (bought a new drive, installed XP Pro, installed Win 7 Pro). It went great. I was able to log on to the Internet fine. I went to bed and when I tried to get on the Internet - no joy. Checked my settings, they looked OK. Checked the adapter, it was OK as well. Ran the troubleshooters and was able to get back on. Closed the Iexplorer and when I went to log on again, no joy a second time. Troubleshooters no help this time. I still haven't been able to get the connection working. I kept my XP Pro drive as is in case I had a problem. I did notice that it sees my card, and an unknown network, but that it isn't enabled for the Internet.
I am guessing it is seeing my "MSHOME" network that is what all the other home computers are useing, but I haven't found a way to add that network. Suggestions?

What does it show in the network and sharing center. Is the first icon a house or a bench?

Are you trying to use Homegroups? What firewall software are you using and do you go through a router?

I wasn't trying to use Homegroups, that is what it set its self to. I haven't set up a firewall yet, and I do go thru a router. I don't know if its a house or bench yet. I will have to change drives to check. I am in the process of setting up a different computer in this room to allow me to run both at the same time.

Just did that. I am going to finnish setting up a second computer and change drives in this one back to 7. Might be a bit before I answer any more replys.
Thanks.

Reboot your router if you have one. Win 7 sometimes causes routers to get confused.

That was it. Reset the router and was able to get on. My other computer had a problem loading XP so I called it a night. This morning I tried it again and it's working.
Thanks tblount.:)

What does it show in the network and sharing center. Is the first icon a house or a bench?

Are you trying to use Homegroups? What firewall software are you using and do you go through a router?

Got an answer that worked. Thanks for the help.:)

That was it. Reset the router and was able to get on. My other computer had a problem loading XP so I called it a night. This morning I tried it again and it's working.
Thanks tblount.:)

Welcome.. time to pay up and give me a few rep points.:)

I'm new here. How does that go? (Rep Points)
By the way, right after I posted that it went out again. Not a windows problem though. Bad cable!

Last edited:
Back