Windows 10 Word 2016 hangs at saving file

r1sh

Hello guys!

I have Windows 10 build 1703 and Office 2016 x64 installed on it.

When I try to save or print any Word file it hangs.

When I diconnect from Internet - everything is fine.

Could you please help me solving the problem?

Try opening word, get to the point where it hangs. Open task manager > details tab. Right click on WINWORD.EXE and select 'Analyze Wait Chain' this may give you some indication what it's haning/waiting on

Try opening word, get to the point where it hangs. Open task manager > details tab. Right click on WINWORD.EXE and select 'Analyze Wait Chain' this may give you some indication what it's haning/waiting on
I've tried, it's empty :(

r1sh … just curious … when did the issue(s) first appear?
  • after win-10 install
  • after upgrading to office-2016
  • after microsoft's 1703 creator-update
fwiw, an alternative (in a bind) … you might try opening the document in openoffice.org software … again, this is only a work-around, r1sh. hopefully the "repair" procedure neemobeer suggested resolves your dilemna … keep us posted.

If neemo's Office 2016 repair doesn't work, I suggest you temporarily disable your AV program, and reinstall Office 2016 from disc or downloaded executable file. Shutdown your computer for 15 min. Power back on, and try Word again. That will often fix it! :up:

If not, you'll need to perform more aggressive software repairs, however, if your computer did not come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory and you have upgraded to W10 from an earlier version of windows such as W7/W8x; I suggest you consider a W10 CLEAN INSTALL after hardware testing which you can do yourself, or pay a licensed tech to do for you. If you want to go the DIY route, take a look here at my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE for step-by-step instructions on both: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Best of luck to you,:encouragement::clover:
If you get stuck, post back any questions you have; we are here for you 24x7x365.
<<BIGBEARJEDI>> :usa: :brew: :lightbulb:

r1sh … just curious … when did the issue(s) first appear?
  • after win-10 install
  • after upgrading to office-2016
  • after microsoft's 1703 creator-update
fwiw, an alternative (in a bind) … you might try opening the document in openoffice.org software … again, this is only a work-around, r1sh. hopefully the "repair" procedure neemobeer suggested resolves your dilemna … keep us posted.

actually...suddenly, I haven't installed updates for 2 weeks neither for Windows nor Office. Haven't installed any software at all, that's wy I just wonder why it could happen :(

i'll try to repair Office and write back soon)

Last edited:
thanks for keeping us abreast of your situation, r1sh.

if this was my home-computer … and if the issue became discombobulating … i'd try the following:
  • create new word file … without adding any element, try saving that "blank" file while connx to internet. probably it will crash.
  • create new excel file … add one text-element to the excel-file (so it's not empty file) … try saving that file while connx to internet. i'd wager to say there'd be no problem.
  • as neemobeer suggx fom get-go … i'd compare the prefs from excel to word … see if word is trying to save the file to onedrive.
according to microsoft … default save parameters are with onedrive. and, since you don't have onedrive account, r1sh … possibility this is why it crashes? so, to counteract this … go ahead and create free account with onedrive … reboot and then see if word crashes.

additionally, there are some trust settings which you should be aware of … such as protected view and similar.

again, r1sh … i have never used onedrive or office-2016 … so this is all just fishing in the dark for myself. as you stated in your latest post … seemed the incidents just began to manifest on their own … that no update caused them. at least no update that you were aware of. also, i have not seen any evidence from other netizens either … with regard to this matter.

anyway … perhaps others may offer you pointers as to the onedrive service.

bigbearjedi offered sound options as well … i'd definitely try uninstall/reinstall the office-2016 software … possibly offline?

ref:
used google filter "win-10 office-2016 word prefs for onedrive"

Last edited:
thanks for keeping us abreast of your situation, r1sh.

if this was my home-computer … and if the issue became discombobulating … i'd try the following:
  • create new word file … without adding any element, try saving that "blank" file while connx to internet. probably it will crash.
  • create new excel file … add one text-element to the excel-file (so it's not empty file) … try saving that file while connx to internet. i'd wager to say there'd be no problem.
  • as neemobeer suggx fom get-go … i'd compare the prefs from excel to word … see if word is trying to save the file to onedrive.
according to microsoft … default save parameters are with onedrive. and, since you don't have onedrive account, r1sh … possibility this is why it crashes? so, to counteract this … go ahead and create free account with onedrive … reboot and then see if word crashes.

additionally, there are some trust settings which you should be aware of … such as protected view and similar.

again, r1sh … i have never used onedrive or office-2016 … so this is all just fishing in the dark for myself. as you stated in your latest post … seemed the incidents just began to manifest on their own … that no update caused them. at least no update that you were aware of. also, i have not seen any evidence from other netizens either … with regard to this matter.

anyway … perhaps others may offer you pointers as to the onedrive service.

bigbearjedi offered sound options as well … i'd definitely try uninstall/reinstall the office-2016 software … possibly offline?

ref:
used google filter "win-10 office-2016 word prefs for onedrive"

thank you for your answer.

1. I can create new excel and word file, print it and save it without any problems
2. OneDrive is disabled on my PC, i don't use it, i've never used it and when it starts it's not logged in.
3. I've disabled privacy settings and it didn't help

nope, it's on my desktop and I didn't link it to any shared storage

If you ever linked onedrive and then logged out then your "offline" folders are still linked to the OneDrive storage.

How old is your PC/HDD? Did you try to save/print a file on another location of the HDD? It could be that there are faulty sectors in exactly the folder you hold your documents. Try to change the location of saving, if you didn't already do it.

Back
Top Bottom