Windows 7 Worth upgrading from 32 to 64 bit?

If win7 is being put on an atom system, chances are it'll only have 2gb max RAM anyway, in which case there would be little sense in putting 64 bit on there, considering the support for 32 bit is still greater, and certain programs still don't like 64 bit. Etc.

My "new" Acer laptop (dual-core Intel 2 ghz.) came with 2 gigs - runs 32-bit Win 7 beautifully... Would I benefit with 64-bit Windows? I am going to add another 2-gigs in the next month or 2 but right now would it be faster than the x86 version with the 2-gigs in it? I just added a 1 Terrabyte USB 2 external drive (bought one for my Mac and 1 for my laptop) for backups, storage, etc... Killer drive.:razz:

If win7 is being put on an atom system, chances are it'll only have 2gb max RAM anyway, in which case there would be little sense in putting 64 bit on there, considering the support for 32 bit is still greater, and certain programs still don't like 64 bit. Etc.

I did say that win 7 32bit "MIGHT" be better for atom cpu's allthough I'm sure there are other advantages to using x64 than just utilizing the extra ram!!!!

I am also of the opinion that people clinging to 32bit os's are holding back the pc's potential, ie the more people make the move to 64bit, the more pressure it put's on microsoft and other softwaire manufacturer's to support it.

The only reason to not make the move to 64 bit if you have need of a particular program that isn't supported yet, or you're hardware is desighned for 32bit natively......

Sorry rant over....:rolleyes:

Just think back to Windows XP 64-bit? Who ran it? Who even knew (cared) a 64 bit version existed? Definetly not the hardware manufactures, as there was no hardware support. Then, when Vista came and the drivers were there (except for my HP Laserjet 1000 -- thanks HP!!!!) there was a choice. Windows 7 is building on amazing, stable 64-bit Vista code, and since moving to it, I have had no problems with any software; why would I run 32-bit and cripple the capabilities of my system.

When I upped my memory from 2GB to 4GB (for a whopping $50) the system ate that memory up and sped my system up considerably. Mostly in the speed in which applications started up, switched around, and obviously on how many I can have running at once. With a 32-bit OS, going from 2GB to 4GB would not have been as beneficial as you would have to trick the OS into using the extra memory -- inefficient.

Now, it is not all rainbows and fluffy bunnies: If you run PCI cards (in my case I had two -- Audigy 2ZS and a Hauppauge TV-Tuner card) you cannot use them with a 64-bit OS with more than 3GB of memory. The problem is with the 32-bit PCI interface and timings. I am not a hardware expert, by any means, so I don't know the exact details as to why it hampers the PCI bus, but I just know it does (my tv-tuner card and sound stuttered horribly). The best solution is to have all PCIe cards which doesn't experience that bottleneck.

Keep that in mind when making the decision to upgrade to 64-bit.

Also, if you have 32-bit software, you could always run Virtual PC and install 32-bit XP or Vista/7 and run the application in there, if plausible.

Sliver

Sliver

I have to say that for "me" at least it has been rainbows, I have 2pci cards, 1 huppage tv card + 1 x-fi and they boath work perfectly together.

Dont forget the audigy was desighned before vista was released, and probably before before win7 was even thaught of!!

I'm wandering wether upgrading to a newer sound or tv card might provide the fix??

Dont get me wrong I have had a few problems (esp with networks lol) but I also had these problems with xp so I don't think any off them are caused by going 64bit, (and I am finding the fixes much faster than with xp32!!)

More likely that I'ts my mistake so I must learn how to use the new os (win7 64) properly!!lol

Ps My other gaming rig only has 2gb off memory, but upgrading it to 64 bit "STILL" improved performance esp in crysis

Last edited:
Back