Windows 7 Wow! Have you played HL2 recently?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I noticed whilst checking the sites the other day that news of a big update for Halflife 2, HL2 EP1, EP 2 and Portal. Mainly it was to do with stuff for Mac users but almost hidden away down near the bottom of the release was the line 'Update to engine' (or words to that effect).
Apparently they had been given a facelift and so I quickly re-installed the Orange Box.

It was true! The graphics have been improved and they've done a great job too.. Whilst at times it's very subtle almost nothing has escaped attention, in places there's even new sounds!
Valve have also included an award system for those that care about such things but if it all adds to the games enjoyment then I'm all for it.
I took a few screenshots of my first few levels which I've obviously played many, many times before So I kinda know whats changed, if anything and I was nicely surprised. Like I said, the changes aren't huge but just enough to make a true devotee smile. :)

(oh and they improved the torch too)

Last edited:
Portal looks certainly good after the updates. However hard I have so many times tried to finally bury these games forever, I couldn't and now I won't: I will sure install Half-Life 2 again to get the new feel with the updated engine. : )

HL.jpg

The graphics now have a similar quality to Left for Dead so it seems the tricks they learnt with those games (L4D2) and the graphics engine, they've also applied to these games too.. I think it's great!

Yet another update...Wow!

Portal, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two Updates Released

Product Update - Valve
3 Jun 2010

Updates to Portal, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Half-Life 2

• Fixed crash due to long hud hint messages, seen when playing in French
  • Fixed Lambda logo at end of credits being cut off (Mac)
  • Added pre-caching of GLSL shaders on game launch to prevent hitching in game (Mac)
  • Performance improvements when using anti-aliasing on ATI GPU's

Half-Life 2: Episode One

• Fixed localized content not loading properly resulting in English audio
  • Added pre-caching of GLSL shaders on game launch to prevent hitching in game (Mac)

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

• Improved frame rate on opening map
  • Fixed localized content not loading properly resulting in English audio

Portal

Ref: News - Portal, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two Updates Released

It's no wonder Valve's Half Life series have held onto all the accolades with this level of support. While i recently nabbed Portal on the Steam Giveaway, I ain't got round to testing HL2 etc yet... might be an excuse to do so now then, just wonder if they will follow suit and update the Counterstrike series to HD grade or make a sequel.

I'm kinda hoping that all these updates ect mean that HL2: Episode 3 isn't far away from release and in readiness they're sprucing up the back catalogue?

I'm kinda hoping that all these updates ect mean that HL2: Episode 3 isn't far away from release and in readiness they're sprucing up the back catalogue?

There are rumors there won't be an E3 instead there will be Half Life 3. Either way I'll be glad when the wait is over!

Back